Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with new 125mW Dragonlaser

Hi all,
I am fairly new to the laser scene, I purchased my first real laser just recently from DragonLasers. A 125mW. I was going to go with the 95mW but thought what the hell, its only money right?
I took delivery of the unit after waiting for about a week, which is pretty good to Sydney Australia.
But you know, I don't know if it is me. The laser I have been sent is not doing what the Dragonlaser website claims, it is not anything like the testimonials. I can't get it to light a match. It dosn't bust a balloon unless you stand on top of it and hold it very close and still for at least 15-20 seconds. It most certainly will not burn black anything yet alone electrical tape.

Can anybody give me some pointers.....

I emailed Dragonlasers with the issue and they told me that there is no way an underpowered laser would get out the door as they have strict screening and testing processes in place.
All I know is that it does not do what they tell me it would do via the website of theirs.
I've seen guys burst balloons as soon as they turn the laser on. Burst 5 balloons in a row. Light matches-near and far.
Mine just does not do any of these things.
Sure in the night it looks bright and is very much viewable, but so is the $50 ebay job I had before this one.

I've tried the e2 Lithium batteries, tried warming it up and then trying the tricks, all I got were laughs from friends because I got ripped off according to them.
You know what, thats how I feel!!

If anybody has some info that might help I would be greatly appreciative. Is there something I am missing? I know that they can be touchy things these higher powered lasers but if I am handling it wrong..........I am very close to cutting my losses with it..........

bassjace

Sydney Australia

sounds like you need to RMA the unit for a replacement. A 125mW should light matches and burst balloons.

T

timelord

I completely agree with stevetexas get an RMA and return it. Dragon may well have tested it out but if may have been knocked about in the post, hence it seems to be underpowered. Or the crystals have been dislodged by the knocking (in the shipping) about and it may have severe mode issues. These are the only things that spring to mind as to why you can't pop balloons or light matches :-/

Thanks for the reply,
I did not mention it but when it arrived the black wooden box it was in was smashed. Both ends were broken off and needed to be glued back together. I did complain to them that something that is worth over US$300 and is as sensitive as these are should be shipped in something a little more substantial than a bubble bag. I know I paid enough to warrant it.
They did not even reply.
I've sent 2 emails to complaints asking for the RMA and both times I have got tips on how to use a laser and long winded explanations on how good the screening process is at the warehouse.
I am not very impressed at all with the service.........

This must be the problem then.......thanks again for the info.

I might go for an Aries!!!!

Hard to go wrong with an Aries. I have a 225 and I love it.

Odd that they sent it in a bubblewrap bag. Seems like a little more thought would go into packaging. If the box was broken, I'm surprised that the laser works at all. Be persistent with the RMA.

Let them know you will post that results of your interactions with them on the forums - maybe that will pressure them into avoiding bad press.

T

timelord

Well explain that the box was broken to them as this may explain whay the laser is not doing like it sez on the tin. The shipping and post people do not give 2 shits about parcels these days and throw them around without a care. I have a 125mw that kicks out 135mw so i know that dragon lasers are ok. you've just had some very bad luck mate.

Welcome to the forum mate ;)

S

SenKat

I htink this is the FIRST bad post I have ever seen regarding Dragon on here ! It actually IS a good thing - why ? Because it shows they are not infallible. I too think it is due to mis-handling by the postal folks, so INSIST that you get a refund - did you pay by pay-pal ? OR Credit card ? There are a few other options if you do not receive good help from them. They SHOULD help you - either way it goes, make sure to post your results - okay ?

Oh - and I second Stevetexas' thoughts endorsements for the Aries....I have a 175 and it had NEVER dropped to 175 in its' life ! It runs at 193 CONSTANT. Good product IMO.

I got a reply from them.
They are willing to give me a replacement. At first I thought that was OK, I was willing to cop the return postage, but then they told me I had to pay for the return to them and then put money into an account of theirs to fund the return back to me. That was just a little too much.....I've insisted on a refund.....
I am going to write off the whole bad experience with them. Its through no fault of mine that things are not what I paid for. Hell, if they had packaged the bloody thing properly in the first place maybe this whole thing would have been avoided. They refused to acknowledge that the packaging, you should've seen it, the thinnest, cheapest looking piece of bubble bag I have ever seen, was not suffice for the long journey.....
They harped on in the emails that they sent me about how sensitive these high powered lasers are and you need to handle them with care.....maybe they need to let the people that package the shipments know this small bit of important information......

Anyway, as soon as I get my funds back from them I am purchasing an Aries........from what I have seen and read these are the real deal.......I just hope they package well.

Thanks all for your input and for the welcome into the forums......

Can you tell me how you go about measuring the output of your laser?

bassjace

I just wanted to post that I went ahead and ordered my Aries 175mW and had it shipped express.

I am looking forward to taking delivery of a laser that actually does what is claims to do............

I will post again when I take delivery........

bassjace

S

SenKat

Bassjace - look forward to no such thing. The Aries will NOT do what it is advertised to do....It will EXCEED it ! I have a 175 from Laserglow.....it puts out a steady 193mw - nev er EVER has it seen power levels so low as 175 !!!
You will be VERY happy with your purchase - and I guarrantee that they package things with care there - you are gonna have your socks knocked off ! I'm happy for you !

Hm. So those are meant as handgun cases? Wow. I have two of them at the moment because the RPL lasers are shipped in those too.

Thanks again for your words.........

I will post some happy pics when I get it......not that you are seeing anything new by the looks of you Laser-hardened-Pointers!!!!

bassjace.......
very nice cases........... ;)

Please post pics - we all can learn something new!!! We all appreciate new and different ideas, and pictures of lasers in action. Even the electronics guru's here learn something once in a while... :)

Can you point me in the direction of any good websites relating to lasers?

Any accessories worth getting to give trippy, cool effects??

I will post on delivery of my Aries.

bassjace