Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with my WL.. Surprise surprise...

tonyt

So, I got the WL Arctic 1.4W today.. I have charged all 5 of my 18650's to capacity(4.10-4.15) and when I turn the laser on it goes into strobe.. Then I click for low power constant.. Then when i try high powered constant it only stays on for about 3 seconds then the beam stops.. The smart switch is still lit and the three lights are dim and flashing? Before it turns off it says that it has full power?

What the hell is going on?

Thanks guys..

i think the real question is how on earth did you get it into australia!?!?! :thinking:

is the laser brand new or is it second hand? i dont know if this has been a recurring problem with arctics but its probably a fault in the driver, maybe a short circuit on the components

Last edited:

tonyt

What do you mean how did it get in the country? There are thousands of idiot 16 year old with them in Australia! :D and also wicked guarantees it will get here and keep sending them til it slips past customs..

Anyway.. I got it off a friend.. It is not new.. 2011/12 model. And he said it was fine last week and always has been ok?

What do you mean how did it get in the country? There are thousands of idiot 16 year old with them in Australia! :D and also wicked guarantees it will get here and keep sending them til it slips past customs..

Anyway.. I got it off a friend.. It is not new.. 2011/12 model. And he said it was fine last week and always has been ok?

i didn't know WL guarantees that it would get through customs, wonder how many thousands of idiots have arctics in australia :p ... ask the guy you bought it off if the laser has done this before and what type of batteries he used previously before selling it to you, other than that i dont know, i've never owned an arctic or WL product so i couldn't tell you about this specific problem exactly.

Last edited:

tonyt

Yep.. 100% guarantee or your money back supposedly..

He said it happened when the battery was really low once but apart from that it works perfectly and as he is a very old friend of mine I believe him.. And it's not like he made a massive amount of money by selling it to me as I got it very cheap.. He just didn't have a use for it anymore..
I am yet to recieve the battery that actually came with it as he couldn't express post that to me but I have a bunch of 18650 purples and 1 ultrafire and none of them are working at the full power constant..
I guess I will wait to get the WL battery tomorrow and see if it still does it..

well good luck with it, hope it all works out for you in the end :) maybe someone who has heaps of WL products will respond with some helpful info, ... i.e. hwang21,

have a good one :beer:

Last edited:

tonyt

Cheers..

Yeah I have messaged hwang21.. I know he will get back to me as soon as he can.

So, I got the WL Arctic 1.4W today.. I have charged all 5 of my 18650's to capacity(4.10-4.15) and when I turn the laser on it goes into strobe.. Then I click for low power constant.. Then when i try high powered constant it only stays on for about 3 seconds then the beam stops.. The smart switch is still lit and the three lights are dim and flashing? Before it turns off it says that it has full power?

What the hell is going on?

Thanks guys..

Fully charged 18650 batteries will read 4.20 Volts.
Are you sure they are fully charged and holding
a full charge.

You would need to test them under load to see if
their voltage sags....

Jerry

Last edited:

tonyt

Fully charged 18650 batteries will read 4.20 Volts.
Are you sure they are fully charged and holding
a ful charge.

You would need to test them under load to see if
their voltage sags....

Jerry

Jerry, they will charge more if I put them back on again for another 5 minutes or so..
Also, that's not really the point.. The laser says the batteries are "full" and it works for a long time on strobe low, strobe high, constant low but as soon as I put it on constant high it turns off after only a few seconds.

djQUAN

is the battery brand new? sounds like it has high internal resistance and the voltage dropping at full power then the driver cuts off.

tonyt

One battery is brand new never used and only taken out of its packet today. The other 4 are older.

"now searching for how to test internal resistance" :D

I read a thread about that when I first joined but have forgotten...

tonyt

Yeah cheers.. I had already found it :yh: Hence my "now searching for how to test internal resistance" :D

djQUAN

I hope it's just the batt. BTW, what brand are the batts? Before, I've bought some "new" Ultrafire brand batts and became useless in a short time. They had rather high internal resistance - basically 'recycled' old cells. Now I know better. :p

tonyt

HAHA the brand new ones are ultrafires! I just picked them up from a battery shop on my way home in case my older 18650's didn't work properly.. That worked out well didn't it!!
I am 99% sure it is the batts now.. Because i put one of my reasonably discharged ones in and it did the same thing but on low power..

djQUAN

LOL!

Are there e-cig shops in your area? I find those are the best places (most convenient?) to find decent high current batteries. I got my IMR's from those kinds of shops.