Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with my blu ray pointer project

Firstly I want to say hi to everyone on the forum. I've been a long-time laser enthusiast and lurker on the forums here. Finally I've decided it's time to get my hands dirty with a moderately difficult (but common) project and I was wondering if you laser/EE gurus could help me out.

I have recently purchased an aixis laser housing, a PS3 laser replacement assembly, and senKat's DIY driver kit.

Now, assuming I can get the driver board assembled and the laser diode freed without screwing something up, I'd like to be able to power this thing without burning it out (wouldn't we all).

I have read dozens of threads now on the subject and from what I've gathered, I'm looking for about 4.5v @ 30-45mA of output to run the diode with 5-10mW of output for a good lifetime. My question is HOW exactly do I achieve this power output with this driver board?

I mean specifics; like, the schematic says 6V DC for input... should I use 4 AA, 4 AAA, or something else entirely?
How exactly do I adjust the pot to get the ideal output? Should I adjust it when it's off or while its running?
What's the best way to measure the current? Should I measure it with a multimeter across the LD while it's running? What if the current is already too high when I first turn it on?

Any help is truly appreciated, I think this is a great forum and I'm excited to actually start contributing!

Kenom

Essentially you need to hook up a multimeter to the circuit and a dummy load or something to measure the current and voltage that your sending to your dummy. Tweak the potentiometer to the current your shooting for and once you have voltage and current within limits then you can then hook up the bluray diode.

Thanks Kenom,

What have people been using simulate the LD? I've read on the boards here that LEDs can be used, and they're a pretty good substitution for load, but not EXACTLY like a true LD. Since BR diodes are so sensitive, I think I need something more accurate than an LED.