Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with fixing my dmm

A while abck I bought a really nice pc itnerface, 46-range digital multimeter. It worked fine at one pint but then it suddenly stopped being able to take measurements. it just reads zero, all the time. it still tells continuity. any ideas as to what the problem is? im pretty sure the fuses arent blown

my problem: too little information :)
Post brand and type to start with. And detailed info on measurements that work/don't work confirmed with another meter using the same cables. Usually the better multimeters have fuses on the current circuit, but also can detect broken fuses. At least mine can.

I currently have 3 multimeters. The one being discussed is a a Radioshack 46 Range Digital Multimeter with PC interface. It displays no voltage reading on batteries I know are at least 3.5 volts. I set the range to volts, and the dial to dc. And nothing happens.
I also have another radioshack meter that served me well until it started not working also. Now all it does is make a long high pitched beeeeeeeeeeeep sound. Both meters are fused protected, but I rarely use them with any sort of higher power circuits. I mostly just do low voltage dc circuit building.

I've read online from people's experience that this meter can blow it's fuses even when measuring low voltage DC circuits. Only current ranges should be fused anyway.
Open the multimeter en measure every fuse in there, see if any is broken.

Also corrosion seems to be a problem in meters that are used a lot. Your body oils attack the terminals.
As Bluefan said open it up and give it a good check.
Remove fuses and lightly sand with 400 grit S/P.
While it's open, clip a "alligator clip" to the inside posts where the leads plug in.
If you start getting readings, your leads have opened up.
I go through 3 or 4 set of leads a year. (Snap-On, so at least they are free)
But I use my meters at least 3-4 times a day, sometimes 30-40. Electronic problems are the nightmare of mechanics, on newer cars.