Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with diode and driver setup

jaycey

I have just got a couple of these drives to harvest the diodes from http://www2.dealtime.com/xPF-Panasonic-DVD-BurnerII-MULTI-Drive-SW-9571-CYY
, can anyone tell me how many milliamps I should set my driver up with and what voltage should I see across the test circuit (4diodes and 1ohm resistor) ?

Also I will be using a DDL driver, is it ok to use a 7.4V LiPo with this driver and diode?

And...I have a 50ohm petentiometer http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/Module 6499.pdf , how do I know what legs go where in the DDL driver circuit?

Sorry for the nOOby questions but I dont want to burn any more diodes out!

Many Thanks

jaycey

Ok I sorted most of it out on my own...yeahhh

I swapped the 50 ohm pot for a 100ohm, its working fine on the 7.4V LiPo.

Now focusing...if I have it focused into a small dot at around 12inches it ends up around 4inches at 25feet, and if I have it as a small dot a 25feet it is around 5mm at 12inches?

hmmm...ile have to experiment more.

Attachments

• 15052009550.jpg
    15052009550.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 193
  • 15052009552.jpg
    15052009552.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 189
with focusing there are two basic "settings". one is infinity. you point the laser at an object far away and focus till you have the smallest dot. then that dot should be pretty much tha same size no matter where you point it. the next setting is for burning. i hold it about 8 inches away from what i want to burn and focus it till things start to pop, light, smoke etc....

jaycey

Ahhh...yes, ive got a little burning action going on when I focus to a tiny dot at 8inch.
But I have to crank the pot fully open...dont spose the diode will last long like that though?

100ohm pot 2x10ohm resistors, 7.4V LiPo @ full charge is about 8.4V 800mah

make a dummy load driver tester and check you milli amp out put. and set it for like 250 milli amps. go to rog8811 signature and his website will show how to make one and use it. it is really simple and cheap. for reds it is just 4 diodes and 1- 1ohm resistor. you need a digital multimeter too. good luck.
'
michael

Asherz

I still can't believe you spent 350$ on a DVD burner to harvest?! I swear you can pick up an LPC diode already harvested and ready to go for well under 100$ and there excellent. or the Senkat diodes are only like 20$ and they burn aswell.

jaycey

Im sorry but im in a position that many of you more experienced guys would love to be in...I have had drives that would cost silly amounts to the RIGHT person. That person is not me all I have beeen doing is taking out laser diodes and experimenting.

I have finaly built a driver that drives a red diode...do I care if it blows, NO because it costs me not a penny.

I come from a model aircraft background, so I have access to LiPoly battery's and chargers, that I understand!

So for the time being, I have some red diodes that I can play with, maybe with this experience I will be get a couple more BluRay diodes and build a decent BluRay burner.

One things for sure, without the help and advice of the LPF members, I wouldnt even of taken the lid off a UDO Drive.

Cheers guys!! happy lasing!