Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help with D.I.Y laser

ok so im planning to build a laser (50mw) with
INDUSTRIAL/LAB 532nm Green Laser 50mW Diode Module DOT - eBay (item 120579645011 end time Aug-05-10 00:26:56 PDT) it LOOKS pretty straight forward but like many things ive done i know it isnt. I know you guys are just going to tell me to read the posts like "So you wanna build a green laser..." or "Do it Yourself Complete Green DPSS with O-like Crystals" but im a noob and have no idea what half of those words mean like DPSS or O crystals etc. I want to use two AA but AAA would be fine, i have a old 5mw cheap green laser case left over so i can use that. Can i make my own? Can someone assist me on how to build one? I have soldering experience and good with electronics im just really confused :thinking:,

Thanks! :D

Moptsp

With a module like that, it should be quite easy to put it together. You will need a host (you got one you say, assuming it fits) and a power source. On the page it says it runs on <350mA at 3.0V input. I assume the module already has the collimator lens. So it might be as simple as connecting the two wire leads to a power source. I can't however tell you if that is a replicable seller on ebay. You should wait for other responders to comment on that.

DPSS laser = Diode Pumped Solid State laser. It means it runs by an IR diode (what generates photons) that is partially converted to 532nm (green light) by crystals rather than a direct diode to lens assembly. They are made this way as green diodes have yet to be mass produced.

Good luck!

Kevlar

You mention you have solder experience and good with electronics but you don't mention anything about mechanical experience or resources for making/obtaining heatsinks.

There are a lot of greenies in pointer style pens (I have one) but they do have short duty cycles due to lack of good heatsinking. (mine is about 30sec off/30sec on). If it gets too hot is mode hops.

I know you have your own host but...

Have you've seen jayrob's DIY green kit? You say you want to use two AA or AAA but his kit with an 18650 or 2 CR123s will give you plenty of run time.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-diy-green-kit-host-heatsink-easy-assembly-22520.html

I have bought one of his kits before, very well made and he is very helpful. They are extremely easy to assemble for first-timers.

Cheech

First off what kind of laser housing (host) do you want?
Lab (uses 120v power adapter and sits on your table)
Flashlight
Custom hand held
Tiny hand held
Gun
Novelty (my personal favorite)

First off what kind of laser housing (host) do you want?
Lab (uses 120v power adapter and sits on your table)
Flashlight
Custom hand held
Tiny hand held
Gun
Novelty (my personal favorite)

i prefer the handheld like the flashlight or the custom. and whats novelty?

Cheech

I built a dragon in my signiture, working on a lab laser rifle yielding anime robot now.;)
Got my welder working decent right now.

would this work? Green Laser Pointer Housing - Host 4 your Laser Project - eBay (item 120594359666 end time Jul-17-10 13:30:08 PDT)
with: DIY 30mw Green Laser Module Laser Cool your Research - eBay (item 220571608250 end time Aug-10-10 21:38:24 PDT) (i only have $25 and this fits. (also trying to keep in the US)

I cant seem to take apart my ebay laser to use as host it looks like this: DealExtreme: $10.10 True Green Laser Pen 5mW any help? (if i can open ill just get the 50mw shown in original)

if i cant do any of the above and want to go 50mw ill just get: 50mW 532nm Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen Black - DinoDirect.com but in hong kong. Support said it wont get caught in customs.

OR get a new pair of nikes :lasergun:

What do you guys think i should do?

ok everyone im just going to get the 50mw diode from ebay and build my own host, like Cheech did with the dragon. I dont think it has a on/off switch so can i just wire it to a small switch i have left over from a rc car? also one more question do i need any resistors or anything? or can i just solder it to a AA holder? (like the part you put batteries in on a remote) THANKS EVERYONE FOR UR HELP! :yh:

Kevlar

also one more question do i need any resistors or anything? or can i just solder it to a AA holder? (like the part you put batteries in on a remote) THANKS EVERYONE FOR UR HELP! :yh:

This makes me think you should read more before trying this build. You could "kipkay" your build and hook that poor little diode right up to the batteries but it wouldn't last long.

You need a driver to regulate the current going to your diode. The cheapest route is to use the LM317. See this thread here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html

This makes me think you should read more before trying this build. You could "kipkay" your build and hook that poor little diode right up to the batteries but it wouldn't last long.

You need a driver to regulate the current going to your diode. The cheapest route is to use the LM317. See this thread here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html

ALTHOUGH! i think the one im buying already has the driver attached to it!?!?

Look at: INDUSTRIAL/LAB 532nm Green Laser 50mW Diode Module DOT - eBay (item 120579645011 end time Aug-05-10 00:26:56 PDT)

or one of my last questions i had

Cheech

Last Question i promise, why does this: 50mW 532nm Industrial Green Laser Module / Beam / Dot - eBay (item 270603955205 end time Jul-16-10 19:40:33 PDT) have a spring along with yellow and red wires? is the red positive and yellow negative? and can i leave the spring or do i have to use it? (attach a battery to it)
Thanks!

The wires look like they may be for power just like the spring. Maybe you have the option for what kind of power you want. It already has a driver so you don't need to buy/make one(the green board w/ little electronic doodads). It should come with some kind of instructions/spec sheet for power.
I would imagine the spring and what ever wire attaches to it should(yellow) be negative. Most 532 lasers are case positive with the spring being negative.

Last edited:
hi again, another noob question: I got the 50mw and it shipped within 12 hours! on the other hand im scared it will get caught in customs :( I have been reading the interwebs and have found out a laser above 5mw can blind you to death and murder you instantly (exaggeration) so now im rlly scared i might make a mistake and reflect it off of some thing and ill get a blind spot in my eye. So now im on a quest for complete safety which completely ruined my "budget" $60 for safety goggles! wow! so i did some searching cuz of my cheap self and found that you can make your own! (or $8 from China) with no IR :(
so anyone know any places that sell IR filters? remember im cheap. Also looking for good deal on one or two pairs of glasses.
THANKS AGAIN
<3 this website!

Kevlar

hi again, another noob question: I got the 50mw and it shipped within 12 hours! on the other hand im scared it will get caught in customs :( I have been reading the interwebs and have found out a laser above 5mw can blind you to death and murder you instantly (exaggeration) so now im rlly scared i might make a mistake and reflect it off of some thing and ill get a blind spot in my eye. So now im on a quest for complete safety which completely ruined my "budget" $60 for safety goggles! wow! so i did some searching cuz of my cheap self and found that you can make your own! (or $8 from China) with no IR :(
so anyone know any places that sell IR filters? remember im cheap. Also looking for good deal on one or two pairs of glasses.
THANKS AGAIN
<3 this website!

Personally I like the glasses from Dragonlasers. They were recommended to me by another LPF member. They are under $30/ea and have an OD rating of >4 :yh:

Laser Glasses - Red laser beam protection 600-740nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers
Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers