Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with choosing green laser to buy

Hi everyone, i came upon this forum while looking to buy a more powerful laser than the one i already have. I have a small <5mW green pointer and red one too, but i thought id take a step and buy a more powerful laser to check it out and get accustomed to them. I have read the reviews section, and the stickied topics, and that was VERY helpful in narrowing things down, but i still dont know which to buy and from where.

Im looking to spend less than 100$ and i would like to buy a green laser that has a clearly visible beam (not just in the dark), will at least pop balloons, and slightly burn the skin (doesnt have to but i think that would be cool). I also want it to be reliable and not break after a week or so. (am i being reasonable for under 100$?) Im not looking for a very powerful laser that lights matches and can burn plastic and stuff... Im rather new to the whole laser scene so any advice would be apprecieated.

*sorry for that rather boring intro but heres my question*

after looking through the reviews i saw that o-like seemed to be a trustworthy company and i saw this: 80~100mW Green laser pen

this seems to be what im looking for in my price range, but will i be receiving what im expecting of it? thanks for any help

i also saw the review for this: 100mW Blue-violet laser pointer

I know this color/beam isnt as visible as the green is, but will it still be able to pop balloons, be reliable, have a visble beam in the dark (or light)? how powerful is this? thanks...

other recommendations are appreciated

Last edited:

the beam of the 80mW to 100mW green you linked to will be visible in the dark, i think it might be slightly visible (at most)in a lighted room but it definitely wont have any effect on your skin.
as for the blue-violet, ive heard that wavelength does have better burning capabilities. you are right that it wont be as visible than a green though.

if i held my 100mw green olike to my skin point blank for a sec or 2 i felt a sting

yeah i have an o-like too, with a rechargeable cr123 (because it puts out 4.2 volts aside from the lithium that puts out 3) you should be able to bring it up to more than 100mW susies lasers are always overspec if anything. And it will pop baloons... im not sure what kind of bat that pen model holds, but you can always buy a module and a host from one of the guys here at LPF (i got mine from Jayrob) (http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-diy-green-kit-host-heatsink-easy-assembly-22520.html)
these are very well built hosts that will probably dissipate the heat better than a pen style.

Edit: here is the module http://o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=909

ok thanks for your input guys/girls, i think im going to buy the 80-100mW green pen. One more question. i know that >5mW are illegal in the US, and im in the US, but will getting it shipped to me be a problem? I dont want it to be confiscated, and then end up losing my money:undecided:

i there any history of products being confiscated that were sent by o-like to the US?

thanks

D

Deleted member 8382

honestly, forget about pens and get the 150mW torch for 98$, you will be way more amazed with the beam ;) Also, longer cycle duration, the batteries will last longer and it looks really cool.

The FDA has PayPal limiting the $ for anything over 5mW.

i saw somebody post this in another thread. Does this mean that paypal cannot be used as a payment method for >5mW lasers pointers?

i was planning on paying via paypal... becuase credit cards are not listed as a payment method on O-Like. I guess i may have to find a different place to purchase...?

EDIT:
so please do not place an order for the lasers greater than 5mW if your paypal account or credit card is from United States, even it intents send to another place.

i saw this on DX... so payment by paypal or credit card cannot be used if in the US... is bank wire transfer my only option now? or is it only DX that actually complies to these rules?

Last edited:
Actually i think ive decided to get this: 532nm 100mw Green Laser Torch
from rayfoss. I very much like the safety feature on it, because i wouldnt want my little brother using it at all. Ive looked at the good reviews of their other products so i hope this one isnt under specced...

My main concern right now is the ability to use paypal as a payment method for shipping to the US. Is it only DX that doesnt ship? will Rayfoss ship to the US?

does anybody have experience wth Rayfoss? i read in a video its better to email your order as opposed to using their checkout system. Should i do that?

Sorry for so many noob questions. I appreciate your responses.

aXit

Sorry I can't contribute to your questions concerning paypal, but I could be useful in other areas.

I'm looking at getting this exact model for myself, similar to you, only fiddled with the weaker lasers before. It looks nice, and the key on it is a nice feature too.

I emailed a few questions to rayfoss, and Faona answered them quite fast:

1. Is there a momentary switch, or just the keyswitch to turn the laser on and off?
This switch is press on/off style not a momentary setting.
NOTE: I enquired further about this in a chat with her, and the key is indeed a safety, there's a push on and off switch about halfway down the barrel that turns no the beam when the key is in. (I have a picture of this if you want to see)
2. Does the laser support the flat top batteries?
Yes, it supports.on the tail cap there are spring connector.
3. What is the recommended duty cycle for this laser?
Recomended duty cycle is 30-60 seconds on and 5-10 seconds off.
4. I live in Australia, so import laws are restrictive, having a read around on LPF, sending the laser through in parts in different packages with labels such as "flashlight parts" will let it pass through. Is there something I can organise with your company to do this?
Yes, understand. We usually ship lasers to UK and Australia with the marks as "flashlight accessories for engineer sample" and split the laser into 2 parcels one inlcudes battery+charger+label+tailcap.The other one include laser body.Do like this can reduce the risk of customs issue.

Also, I found out that the body is solid aluminium, and it's anodised, not painted, that should make the surface last a little longer.

So it is an option from rayfoss to split it up into separate packages to try and avoid issues.

Hope any of this helped.

PS Has anyone got this laser? I chose it because I had heard bad things about the focusable (the ones with two battery options) lasers in this price range, and because it used 18650 batteries. If there's anything better, please say.

I'm also interested in this laser so when you guys get them would you mind putting some decent reviews up?

aXit

Indeed, I search a lot on the site for it.

Is it a new model?

I just saw the dimensions, 40mm diameter and 220mm long. Bit bigger than the average torch host for this power level. Makes me start thinking about the weight too.

I just purchased the 532nm 100mw Green Laser Torch from rayfoss after talking to Faona. I was pleased with the fast replies, and my questions were answered.

And for those who were wondering about the same questions i asked above, here are the answers:

Rayfoss does ship to the US, and paypal is accepted. They have never had a problem with FDA regulations and no reports of lasers being confiscated in S customs.

It will be shipped to me on Monday =D and i hope all goes well. Thanks for your help LPF. When i receive it ill try to review it, but i dont have a camera. I may have to take pics wth my iPhone, but the camera isnt that great on it.
I dont know that much about lasers, im just a beginner i guess, ill tell you my thoughts about it.

honestly, forget about pens and get the 150mW torch for 98$, you will be way more amazed with the beam ;) Also, longer cycle duration, the batteries will last longer and it looks really cool.

I agree... These have better duty cycles, I would get this

so was emailing your order easier than using their checkout system?

Well i ordered it right after i talked to Faona. She said that ordering through the site and through email are both fine. For my convenience i just ordered through the site. About 3 minutes after i put the order in through the site, and made the payment, i got an email from Faona saying payment receceived, and that it would be shipped out on monday.

The ordering process was very easy, to say the least.

Actually i think ive decided to get this: 532nm 100mw Green Laser Torch
from rayfoss. I very much like the safety feature on it, because i wouldnt want my little brother using it at all. Ive looked at the good reviews of their other products so i hope this one isnt under specced...

My main concern right now is the ability to use paypal as a payment method for shipping to the US. Is it only DX that doesnt ship? will Rayfoss ship to the US?

does anybody have experience wth Rayfoss? i read in a video its better to email your order as opposed to using their checkout system. Should i do that?

Sorry for so many noob questions. I appreciate your responses.

Smart! we don't want accidents happening and have the FDA put more pressure on the Laser community than focusing their efforts on protecting the quality of our food and drugs