Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help with batter

Hello,

I am new to lasers so please be easy on me.

I am using a blue laser diod. I have been using one 1.2V AAA nimh at 1000 mAh.
It can make a match smoke but not light.
I then got a 10440 3.8V 800mAh. It caused the laser to bcome dim and weak.
I then put the nimh back in and it is still weak.

I am guess I killed the diode :cryyy: But was wondering what kind of battery I should be using

All I know aout the driver in the flashlight housing I am using is that it takes the 1.2V battery and outputs at 5.4V

Please help :)

GBD

Is your battery directly feeding the diode?
or is there a driver in between?
What diode is this?

Post some pictures of your setup

since you said blue, I will assume this is the popular A-130/140/150 series @ 445nm.

If you are directly driving from a battery, the issue here is that your diode will have a hard time lasing until it hits a general zone of 3.8V-4.2V for its forward voltage, to run it from a lower voltage power source (such as the batteries you mentioned) you require additional parts, a boost converter to achive the forward voltage required, and then to set your current.

however, following the V/I curve of the diode, if your battery exceeds the forward voltage to lase, then a diode will be a diode and pull whatever current it wants, and will continue to do so as of thermal instability, meaning it will continue sucking whatever current your battery will supply until the diode royally fucks itself. (that is assuming once it reaches the forward voltage to do so, otherwise it will limit itself to some point along the curve)

the solution is a constant current source, or another form of current limiting, which can be done either linearly or by controlling the duty cycle of a boost converter.

Last edited:
With that title I thought he was trying to make pancakes
or a cake...:whistle:

Jerry

Last edited:
PHR-805 HD diode OEM 405nm

the laser diode is conected to where the 1 Watt LED was.
i used a Duracell 1.2V 1000mAh which gave the laser enough power to cause a match to smoke but not light.

I then put in a Li-ion that ranged from 3.8 - 4.16V at 800mAh

IMG_20110607_170849.jpg

IMG_20110607_170914.jpg

IMG_20110607_170924.jpg

strik3

firat of all 405nm is not blue. 445 is what we usualy refer to as blue. if the laser originaly came with a 1.2v battery then thats what you should stick to. as with a 10440 you are more than doubling the voltage that was previously used

is this one that you made or bought from somewhere or someone?

Last edited:
Made.

So what kind of battery should I have used to make it strong enough to light a match?

strik3

did you use the driver that was in the torch already or did you buy a seperate driver?

also to make a laser stronger you dont increase the voltage you increase the current.

Last edited:

strik3

yeah then the driver would have been for 1.2 - 1.5v not 3.7v

so I killed my diode :undecided:
and If I get another diode for it I would need a 1.2 - 1.5V at a higher mAh?
like 2000mAh instead of the 1000mAh??

strik3

it sounds like you may have done some damage to either the driver or the diode. its immpossible to tell without having it in hand. what you will need to do is you will need to get a new driver that will suit the host, create a test load, and set the current for the diode on the driver before you hook it up to the diode.

so the things you will need

new diode,
new driver,
test load,

you can search the forums on how to wire up and use a test load on a driver to set the current.

also the battery mah has nothing to do with how powerful the laser will be

what driver are you using? i've never heard of a laser driver running on 1.2v??? and direct driving a diode doesn't sound right either????

where did you get this laser. sorry for all the questions but it will help us help you better.

strik3

He said he made it by using the driver that was already in the host. So I'd say it's a Cree driver.