Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

help with 1.8W+ 445 nm build

Hey all, I'm planning to build a 445nm laser thats at least 1800mW and I have a few questions. first: I ordered this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390510470859...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7053wt_1397
then realized it looks VERY similar to the host pictured here 1800mW 445nm Blue Laser Parts Bundle *BACKORDERED*, BitLasers
would anyone be able to tell me if they are the same?
second: can i use the driver that comes with the torch to run the laser module? I would like to keep the multiple settings, with a laser this powerful it couldn't hurt to have low med and high power settings, also the strobe effect is cool :D
third: is that heatsink (bitlaser build^) custom made or can I buy one from anywhere?
and finally: what laser module is used for the bit laser build? Is there a better option? I'm looking for maximum heat output when focused to infinity.

This will be my first laser build, I have experience with electronics and I have done a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos about laser construction, and I'm confident I can build a badass laser with a little expert advice :D

Also I made a bet with a friend that I could light a cigarette with a handheld laser, he didn't believe me. So I've got 100 bucks riding on this :3

FYI: I'm not an idiot, I know lighting a cig with a laser is VERY dangerous, Having any hi power laser that close to your face is never a good idea. Which is why the cigarette won't be in my mouth when we attempt to light it, I don't even smoke anyway so...:wave:

1. They seem to be the same. 2. You would need to test the current on the driver to see if it's usable, but led drivers can have current spikes that will damage laser diodes. LED's are a bit tougher and can handle the spikes. You're probably better off getting a respectable laser driver 3. As for the heatsink, yes it's custom made. You could have a machinist here make you one. 4. The module in there probably contains an M140 diode, the better option would be a 9mm diode but they're twice the price.

That's a very good deal, DTR is a member here and has the best diode prices I know of. The option you mentioned already has a driver attached as well, so all you have to do is hook it up to 2 lithiums

perfect! I'm stoked to be building my own laser :D I have probably 150 bucks worth of empty beer cans in my garage, they will pay for the diode lol. just need some leads on the heatsink...

Thanks! just sent a message to Eudaimonium about the heatsink. I was looking at the 9mm diode you recommended also and I'm wondering what makes it better than the m140?

oh yeah, I keep forgetting Christmas in couple days :p I probably wont be able to order it for a week or two anyway so there's no rush, and thanks for the links :D

just took a look at that link, very informative. I'll definitely be going with the 9mm, now I just need to figure out the driver situation.

I'm not sure of the pill diameter for the driver, but if it's 17mm you could use a round Mohgasm driver. Or you could just remove the components from the flashlight driver, attach leads, and use it as a battery contact to a rectangular driver. You already mentioned getting a diode from DTR with a driver presoldered, so that would probably be your easiest bet

How come on this thread you said you purchased a C5, but in the other you say you plan to use a C6? :thinking: was it a typo or did you change your mind?
IMO a 9mm diode in a C6 is risky business, unless underpowered. But where's the fun in that :eg:

Last edited:
Well in your other thread you said C6, which is why ARG linked you to Mohrenberg's C6 kit. That kit comes with the host, heatsink, and driver that presses right in the pill. But it is a smaller host and a smaller heatsink compared to the C5. For the C5 you ordered you'll have to work out a driver solution, and order the heatsink seperately

oh ok, that makes sense, I'm pretty sure its a c5 then cause I just spent the last few mins comparing the bitlaser host with the one I bought and Im positive they are exactly the same. I'm a derp :p