Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help to build first Blu Ray laser.

AthruZ

Hey there, again, I am basically reviving an old thread I posted sometime ago, on my first laser build.

here are the basics:  I have a 803T blue/violet LD in an Axiz housing and a rkcstr micro-drive[r].  I am also using the MXDL flashlight (with bottom clicking switch) using either 2 cr123s or 2 3.6 V rechargeable batteries.

I am mostly sure on the build except the part of wiring the diode to the batteries.  In the pic, at the end of the post, there is part #2-the original LED+circuit.  I want to use that (#2) for the positive lead connection from the driver to the batteries.  but I dont know what to do about the negative lead.  Again I would like to utilize part 2 since that is how the flashlight was used.  But I dont know if i can since everything used is metal and conductive, and I dont want to short out the LD.

So what should I do about the negative lead/overall wiring?  Please help.  Thanks

pic:  

well it seems that I cant post a link to the image nor can I apparently upload the pic, I guess PM me if you really need a pic to know what I am talking about but I think many of you should already have some idea of what I said.

Re: Help to build first PS3 Blu Ray laser.

Hey there all.  I am about to attempt my first laser build, with a PS3 Blu Ray diode.  However, I have never done this before.  I know some stuff and seen at least one simple build that will do.  Though, I want to know more.

First though, I should say that I can't do any sort of machining nor can I fully read electronics schematics.

So here is some of what I want to know.  First I know I need a laser housing and I hear alot about the Aixiz housing.  What I don't know is if it will fit a PS3 laser diode, I would guess it would but don't want to buy something I can't use.
Yes it will fit in an Aixiz housing

Also, what can be, or would be good, (tho simple) to mod, I have seen a flashlight to laser mod but will this be good for what I want to do.
An MXDL flashlight will be ideal but you will need to adapt the diameter as the Aixiz is much smaller than the torch, a Jayrob heat sink is the easiest option. See stickies in buy/sell/trade

What will/should be used in the creation of the laser.  Basically, what type of battery (voltage, size, etc.) would be good to use?
2 X RCR123A (rechargable 3.7v) batteries will do the trick. Look at deal extreme website.

Also, resistors, or anything like that - needed yes or no?
You need a driver, a resistor on its own may work....for a while I suggest a Rkcstr driver. See stickies in buy/sell/trade.

Lastly, for now at least, power.  The more powerful like 140 mW or so would be nice but if only it wont require some crazy wiring or construction.  Burning would be nice but a visible beam is at least what I want.  So how do I get the power or how can I get a visible beam with simple wiring and what not.
PS3 Ld will give you a maximum output of around 20mw @ around 40ma, they are not capable of 140mw....For that you will need an 803T Ld. Look in group buys.

Regards rog8811

AthruZ

rog881 - thanks for the info. but I have one more request for you or anyone else who can answer. is/are stickies an object or a person (forgive me if it seems like a dumb question)? Is there a "stickies" thread in the buy/sell/trade area?

finally, I am not an electrician or fully understand circuits and electronic components so if someone could try to explain as simply as possible what the drive actually does that would be a great help.

Thanks

daguin

At the top of each individual board are some threads that stay at the top. Those are called "stickys" because they "stick" at the top. All of the rest of the threads move down with age as they are replaced by newer threads.

Peace,
dave

AthruZ

reviving an old post by me for help with blue 803T laser build-please help.

The PHR-803T violet diode is somewhat unique in the fact that neither of the diode's pins are connected to the casing.

You needn't worry about the case being directly attached to the batteries, just solder the driver to the diode, solder a wire from the positive terminal of the rkcstr driver to the battery terminal or whatever, and solder a wire from the negative side of the driver to the chassis of the flashlight.