Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Selecting A Host

Yea I do Agree that you have a ton of space in the MXDL but I don't really like the looks of it. It looks great when you use it for an open can red burner but not so much when using it for Blu-Ray ( Theres just something I like about using a silver or white host for Blu-Ray). The second option in my first post is very close to the MXDL in width dimensions but its a little shorter in length. I really like the host that daguin uses here http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1215317897 but judging from one of the posts there I don't think he wants to tell people where he got it (Maybe I'll try asking). Right now I'm just searching for nice looking hosts and comparing sizes and all and in the end I may end up selecting the MXDL just for accessibility and space. But for now my search will go on. Thanks for your input :)

50Freestyle, i don't think those are good hosts for a first build...
I made a Blu-Ray laser from that first host (it was not my Blu-Ray first build, but my 5th), and it was even hard for me! It requires a lot of modifiying, and you will need a heatsink. What driver are you using? If you are using the flexdrive, you do not need 3.7 Vol AAAs, you have to use primaries. If you are using the Rckstr driver, you will need rechargeables AND a heatsink that will dissipate heat from the diode AND the driver. I recomend something simpler for your first Blu-Ray build... But if you insist...

Spyderz20x6 said:
50Freestyle, i don't think those are good hosts for a first build...
I made a Blu-Ray laser from that first host (it was not my Blu-Ray first build, but my 5th), and it was even hard for me! It requires a lot of modifiying, and you will need a heatsink. What driver are you using? If you are using the flexdrive, you do not need 3.7 Vol AAAs, you have to use primaries. If you are using the Rckstr driver, you will need rechargeables AND a heatsink that will dissipate heat from the diode AND the driver. I recomend something simpler for your first Blu-Ray build... But if you insist...

Then what would you reccomend as a good first DIY build host that is still pretty compact? Maybe the host this user used? http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1215158440
What made this host so hard to build?

50Freestyle said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1216757998/0#5 date=1216917657]50Freestyle, i don't think those are good hosts for a first build...

Then what would you reccomend as a good first DIY build host that is still pretty compact? Maybe the host this user used? http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1215158440
What made this host so hard to build?[/quote]
That is a pretty good host (the one you linked to). It is so hard mainly because it has barely any room, and you will have to do a lot of modding, cutting, and some pieces are likely to break if you do it wrong. In the end, i had to squeeze everything in there so much, that the threads barely managed to screw any more. If you have a lot of patience, you may be able to pull it off.

By the way, get a DMM...

That is a pretty good host (the one you linked to). It is so hard mainly because it has barely any room, and you will have to do a lot of modding, cutting, and some pieces are likely to break if you do it wrong. In the end, i had to squeeze everything in there so much, that the threads barely managed to screw any more. If you have a lot of patience, you may be able to pull it off.

By the way, get a DMM...

I should've been clearer on asking what was so hard about the "Host". I meant to ask what was so hard about the other host, the number 1 link on my first post on this thread.

Oh and i'm guessing you've seen one of my older posts asking if a DMM is necessary for lasers. I see why they are now and I found one buried in my garage.

Thanks  :)