Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed with diode extraction

glcon

Hello folks,
I extracted a diode from a DVD burner and everything's nice except it's pins are soldered to some copper plastic like thing and I've cut all of them except near the pins. So, should I desolder it or solder it directly to the soldered pins.
And what wires should I use when soldering to driver and diode? I've seen most of them use silicone wire, how about copper ones?

And How do I test the Diode in the first place?

Sorry for my English. i'm not native English speaker, so please don't troll me.

~Regards

Last edited:

Tmack

It's best yo not desolder the pins. The extra heat may hurt the diode. Try to remove as much as possible with a file. When soldered leads on the pins only touch then with a drop of solder to re-tin them.

The copper solid wire is hard to work with, but is wire nonetheless. Anything you can do to minimize the heat exposure to the diode, is better.

An adjustable power supply is needed to test the diode.

And this did burner has a infrared diode and a red diode. Make sure you can identify which is which before you build.

Last edited:

glcon

Yes, it did have a Infra-red diode and a Red diode. I have seen the video on youtube where the differences are shown between these two diodes.

Thank you Tmack for answering.

glcon,

No harm in desoldering the old connections from the diode pins, if you don't go crazy with the heat. It will be a great deal more difficult, since you have cut up the flex circuit board. Cleaning up the diode's pins will lessen the chance of a short circuit.

DO NOT USE solid copper wire. It will increase the chances of breaking off pins.
Use Stranded wire, with soft insulation. The 'Silicone wire' refers to a prefered type with silicone rubber insulation. Good luck, Be SAFE and have fun.