Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed for my first build

SN P

Hi all,

So I have decided to finally begin my first build after months of looking at custom builds and tutorials.

I want to make a laser that costs no more that $100 (as it is my first build)

So far I have thought about the following:

C6 Host - Survival Laser (http://www.survivallaserusa.com/DIY_C6_Host_Assembly/p1667092_7862087.aspx)

Focusing Ring - Survival Laser (http://www.survivallaserusa.com/Extended_Length_Focusing_Ring_-_Red_Anodized/p1667092_7862055.aspx)

650nm Diode - DTR (https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/3-8mm-650nm-300mw-diode)

635-685nm Lens - Survival Laser (http://www.survivallaserusa.com/635-685nm_AR_Coated_Acrylic_Lens_Assembly/p1667092_7862060.aspx)

I have asked if DTR could include a diode driver with the above diode (Just as a precaution and for future reference, what diode driver would I need for this?).

Is there anything else that I am missing from this build?

Last edited:

SN P

Update: i am able to get the driver from DTR

Is there anything missing or any specific tools that I need?

IsaacT

I have a laser kit for sale right now. Would come with 3 diodes, a driver(but you need to check it), the host(a custom one), wire, a lens, and a lens spring. Everything you need. More importantly, the kit is only 68 if you send as gift. If you send as payment add 4%.

I say check the driver because I did not personally set it.

At any rate that could save you money. Check out my FS thread for more details(in the BST section).

Please post links with the Insert Link button. It makes it easier to follow. Otherwise it looks like you have
everything covered except the battery.

SN P

Thanks, didn't realise I hadn't posted them as links. I have 16340 batteries from a previous 200mW I had.

So with all I have listed I wouldn't need any additional parts or tools to put the parts together?

Please post links with the Insert Link button. It makes it easier to follow. Otherwise it looks like you have
everything covered except the battery.

You don't really need the lens from survival laser. The diode module comes with an acrylic lens that works just fine. I made a similar build with a Survival laser C6. Link is in my sig.

Last edited:

SN P

Just realised that both lenses are the same. What's the C6 Host like? Do you think it would be better to use that? Trying to keep my costs as low as possible but would like to use a good host

You don't really need the lens from survival laser. The diode module comes with an acrylic lens that works just fine. I made a similar build with a Survival laser C6. Link is in my sig.

IsaacT

The S4 is a C6. You might could get a C6 cheaper from dealextreme for like 10 bucks but you will need the heatsink for it and contact board.

SN P

So there isn't really a difference between the two?
In that case I would probably go with C6 assembly that is $10

The S4 is a C6. You might could get a C6 cheaper from dealextreme for like 10 bucks but you will need the heatsink for it and contact board.

Yes, you'll need a soldering iron to solder the driver to the batt contact board.

You will need to get the battery contact board too.

SN P

Is their a round driver that I can get as an alternative to the flexdrive? I've been looking at numerous posts and have read about many drivers but am not sure which would be best to power the diode effectively and at the same time have a small cost. The flexdrive would cost $27 but I've seen round drivers for cheaper such as 18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Yes, you'll need a soldering iron to solder the driver to the batt contact board.

You will need to get the battery contact board too.

LED drivers are iffy when it comes to driving laser diodes. I would go with a flexdrive and get the contact
board since there is really nothing else right now that will do 350mA. Either set it to 350mA yourself or
have someone set it for you.

SN P

Okay thanks.
I think I'll get the driver from DTR unless there are any cheaper options

LED drivers are iffy when it comes to driving laser diodes. I would go with a flexdrive and get the contact
board since there is really nothing else right now that will do 350mA. Either set it to 350mA yourself or
have someone set it for you.

SN P

Does anyone know of any linear drivers as a cheaper option to the flexdrive?
Trying to keep the cost down for this build I have seen this and this from Odic Force but am not sure if they would be suitable for the build