Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed finding keychain pointer (Same question, different day)

Hello all. First off, lovely site. I've been searching and reading it for days now, but have yet to come up with what I'm looking for. My son and I just recently got a new Rottweiler puppy and I was telling him about a red laser pointer I had long ago when I had my first Rottie, and how much fun we had with it. I've probably still got it somewhere, but last I checked, it didn't work (we're talking 15 years or more when I bought it for a decent chunk of change). I never tormented my dog with it or anything, just had the occasional fun when outside somewhere she could be unleashed and run wild. Anyhow, I never would have thought about getting a laser pointer just for this dog. The story about the old laser pointer came up with my son though when we were trying to teach her to walk on a leash. She just wants to hang out in everyone's yard like she's at home, and doesn't quite grasp the concept of moving forward. I thought, if i had my laser pointer, it would get her attention to the path ahead of us (when needed) and I'd like to incorporate it into her training. The problem is, as you all know, the market is FLOODED with super cheap Chinese laser pointers. Amazon (my go-to) is strangely barren of them, while eBay is swarmed! This forum (thankfully) warned me about all of that, and I now don't know the good from bad (in my price range). Those are the first 2 sites I think of when looking for cheap and free shipping (cheaper lol).

As I said, I've read A LOT of posts here. I've seen this question sooooo many times, but haven't come across anything...mostly due to the posts being too old and the links no longer working. I HAVE learned a lot though (thank you all). I had already ordered an SDLaser 301 (Green) not long after reading about it on here. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more I realize that's not very good for what I want it for. I guess daddy's got a new toy that we can talk about on the forums in the future. Not only have I spent hours upon hours scouring these boards, but I've spent even more time searching the internet for a decent laser pointer that doesn't cost a fortune as I'll need more than one.

I come to you for help. I don't care the color of laser, red or green. I'm thinking red for safety and cost, but would go with another green one if it fit what I'm looking for better. I'm trying to order online, so unless you know of a perfect one at a national store, it's not really an option (I hate shopping and order pretty much everything but groceries online). I'd like a keychain type to hang on my lanyard with a dog whistle and clicker. These things are easy to find on eBay for super cheap nowadays, but thanks to this forum, I now know better. I don't really care about (or really want) an LED flashlight combo. Something simple, I just need the laser to emit a point (like my old one) or a beam...no fancy designs, light patterns or anything. Something somewhat durable and reliable. I was hoping to stay in the $5-$10 range. Cheap, I know, but I need multiple plus I've already dished out money on that other green laser...not to mention I'm now possibly spoiled by the cheap prices I've seen everywhere.

Mainly however, I'm in need of a laser pointer that is as safe to use with my pup as it can be. I know, they're not ideal to use with pets. Again, it's not so much for play as it is for training. I'm training this pup a lot of different things using various techniques...at the same time...using several tools/methods. I'm in Florida, and these dog walks have me pouring sweat as it is...then I have to carry this heavy pup half the way home uuuugh.

So, I've come across a couple that I'll link to that seem perfect to give you an idea of what I'm looking for (looks/feature-wise, I don't know if they're any better than the Chinese garbage on eBay), but didn't/couldn't purchase due to various reasons like sellers not having enough stock or are overpriced, the companies being wholesalers, etc.

So, all of that said, does anybody here know of a keychain laser pointer out there similar to the ones in the links that fit my needs? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Omnitech Laser Pointer Keychain on eBay

Omnitech Laser Pointers at EFTechStore.com

***Has anyone ever heard of EFTechStore.com? Search engines yield nothing but links right back to the site. A Whois search doesn't say much other than it was created/updated recently. I don't recall ever seeing such an untraceable website...and most of the site doesn't work anyways.

Red Laser Keychain at DealExtreme

***I can't order from DX.com. My bank/card issuer just won't allow a payment to go through. Even via PayPal (I don't have an account, not making one). I've been 'round and 'round with both the bank and website and have gotten nowhere.

Calpac Lasers Red Laser Keychain Pointer Model: CP-TI-333-16BS

Calpac Lasers Red Laser Keychain Pointer Model: CP-TI-333-9VB

Calpac Lasers Red Laser Keychain Pointer Model: CP-TI-333-9S

***I can't speak for quality, but Calpac Lasers makes them how I want...simple. While you can order on the site, the cost with shipping for several of them is pretty high. They may be domestic (U.S.) wholesalers.

P.S.: I can't build anything...not yet anyways. Maybe in the future when I'm having fun with my green laser and want more lol

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Hi there,

Haha had me laughing at "having to carry this heavy pup back home" :D He's had it with these summer temperatures, huh?

Anyhow, what I would most definitely not recommend, is this "button cells" rubbish. So yeah, none of those links, really.

The "301" laser you mentioned is most likely high-powered, but honestly as long as you're being extra careful (and you seem a decent sort, actually), it's fine. Dogs can see the beam passing through the air and react to it - for some reason. My dog used to jump in the air trying to catch a beam 10 meters above his head.

Regardless, if you're looking for semblance of mind, I'd recommend something like this:

3pcs New 5mW Powerful Laser Pointer Pen Combo Green Blue Violet Red | eBay

Now, TRUE, they don't actually run on rechargeables (which is my first and foremost requirement), BUT being low powered, with a good pair of alkalines they should last you quite a while, while being safe. Red one should most definitely be lower powered, violet maybe - green is up to your luck, really. Problem is that making a green laser is a tricky process, and cheap no-control products vary wildly in output power. You and your friend can buy the exact same model from exact same factory line, and get output difference of 50mW or more.

Have fun and stay safe!

Also read blue line in my signature, in case you need anything else :)