Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me find a good cell phone

As you all may know by reading some of my posts, I have recently destroyed my Iphone 3G. I am in need of a good Smart/PDA cell phone that wont cost me more than $200.

Now due to the simple fact that I am not eligable for a discount for a year still, the cheapest crapiest phone that ATT has still costs me about $75 and that phone can't do anything at all.

So, I turn to the chinese unlocked cell phone market. I have been looking at Sciphones and several other similar phones. Are these Chinese phones any good? Are they worth the money? They seem like a great deal, but like with other Chinese products, are they to good to be true?

I am considering this cell phone.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23047
(Yes this is a real link....I think DX is down right now)

Does anyone here know of a good cheap chinese cell phone? Is the one that I have up above any good?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer....if you decide to answer.:)
I plan on buying the phone up above on Friday, unless some of you can convince me to get something different.

Also, have you guys heard about the Sciphone N12 that is coming out I believe on the 25th? That phone is going to be sweet.

Last edited:

Jaseth

Their page is indeed down right now so I can't take a proper look at the phone you have chosen.. What I can say however is that I have spent more than 3 hours looking at and comparing all specs, all reviews and all forum threads of any phone on DX with a price tag between $58 and $120. While many seemed pretty good and got great reviews for tiny prices, I found that the same thought was constantly shouting at me from the back of my mind: "They are not worth it!"
What I found was that you will never get a proper copy phone.. they all have pretty slow processors and screens with crappy resolution. The sound on all of them is described as loud and bad quality. They often lack several of the features shown in the specs and every single one has terrible battery life.
I don't know about you but since both my phone and current MP3 player are reaching their best before dates, all I really wanted was to be able to:
1) Call and text with ease
2) Watch downloaded movies and listen to music

I want to be able to get in touch with people at any time so bad battery life is a big no-no for me. If there was some way of getting a good quality one which fitted the phone..
When the processor is slow, video is jittery and sound/picture become out of sync.. another reason they are not for me.

I guess I will just have to wait until I have built my laser scanner and once again have some funds and then get the real deal.......
Nokia FTW!

What specific things are you looking for in a phone? I may be able to guide you somewhat towards the best model they have if you tell me :)

I want email, video, music, text......basicly an Iphone.:)

I have a feeling that I should wait for the Sciphone N12. Here are it's specs.

Processor: Marvell Monahands (624MHz) + Qualcomm MSM6246
Operating system: Android (REAL)
Dimensions: 117*58*12.7
Mode: UMTS-2100MHz, GSM-900/1800/1900 MHz
Bearer: GSM, 3G(WCDMA)
Display: WQVGA 240*400 pixels, 3.2 inch TFT 262K
Main camera: 3.2M pixel
Secondary Camera: 0.1M pixel
Storage: ROM-256MB+64MB, RAM-256MB+64MB
Extended Storage: Micro SD, up to 16GB
USB: USB 2.0 high speed
Bluetooth: Ver 2.0
GPS: Yes
WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/11g
TV: CMMB
Battery capacity: 1000mAh
Standby time(GSM): Up to 220 hours
Voice talk time(2G): Up to 170 minutes

The bad part about this phone, is that the expected price in the usa is going to be about $225+.

Here is the video of the Sciphone I68. This is the one that I am considering to buy on Friday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZaOAyU6fQ

Jaseth

This phone is the one I was going to get myself, but the problem I have found is that many people are receiving fakes.. that is a fake of a fake!
If you receive this one it is decent for the price, but not a lot more. If you receive the fake it is just a waste of money. This comment describes it quite well:

"This is a Real SciPhone.. You got to make sure you get the real Sciphone i68+ with 3.0a Firmware. There are a lot of junk look a likes,,,
1.)SciPhone i68+ should be on the back of the phone, Plus on all of the batteries .
2.)SciPhone should show when you turn it on,
3.)The car charger should be all one piece not be a USB plug.

Be careful because the i9 and other knock off are nothing but CRAP. Just because it says Sciphone on the box, that dont mean nothing"

Really, even though the specs for the N12 look very appealing, the price is still so high that I would prefer to pay for the real deal to have that nice feeling that everything works and is up to date.. no jittering picture, no problems with the battery, no problems with firmware. Or.. not the real deal in this case, as I don't want an iPhone but a Nokia.

i got 3 of these clone Iphone from china and some other cell phones but they are not very good

As you all may know by reading some of my posts, I have recently destroyed my Iphone 3G. I am in need of a good Smart/PDA cell phone that wont cost me more than $200.

Now due to the simple fact that I am not eligable for a discount for a year still, the cheapest crapiest phone that ATT has still costs me about $75 and that phone can't do anything at all.

So, I turn to the chinese unlocked cell phone market. I have been looking at Sciphones and several other similar phones. Are these Chinese phones any good? Are they worth the money? They seem like a great deal, but like with other Chinese products, are they to good to be true?

I am considering this cell phone.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23047
(Yes this is a real link....I think DX is down right now)

Does anyone here know of a good cheap chinese cell phone? Is the one that I have up above any good?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to answer....if you decide to answer.:)
I plan on buying the phone up above on Friday, unless some of you can convince me to get something different.

Also, have you guys heard about the Sciphone N12 that is coming out I believe on the 25th? That phone is going to be sweet.
What about a Iphone 4G? It should be there in july

What about a Iphone 4G? It should be there in july

4G.....ATT doesn't have a 4g network and won't for quite some time. :) Plus, that phone will cost a rediculous amount of money as well. Shoot, to replace my Iphone 3g with a new one will cost me $399

Last edited:
This phone is the one I was going to get myself, but the problem I have found is that many people are receiving fakes.. that is a fake of a fake!
If you receive this one it is decent for the price, but not a lot more. If you receive the fake it is just a waste of money. This comment describes it quite well:

"This is a Real SciPhone.. You got to make sure you get the real Sciphone i68+ with 3.0a Firmware. There are a lot of junk look a likes,,,
1.)SciPhone i68+ should be on the back of the phone, Plus on all of the batteries .
2.)SciPhone should show when you turn it on,
3.)The car charger should be all one piece not be a USB plug.

Be careful because the i9 and other knock off are nothing but CRAP. Just because it says Sciphone on the box, that dont mean nothing"

Really, even though the specs for the N12 look very appealing, the price is still so high that I would prefer to pay for the real deal to have that nice feeling that everything works and is up to date.. no jittering picture, no problems with the battery, no problems with firmware. Or.. not the real deal in this case, as I don't want an iPhone but a Nokia.

The one on DX says that it is an Aphone i9......but all of the people on there say that it is indeed a i68+ with the latest software for the phone.

i got 3 of these clone Iphone from china and some other cell phones but they are not very good

What wasn't good about them? Details please. :) Please give model types. I don't want to waist money on a phone that is crap. Thanks

Jaseth

Wow that is cheap for an iPhone! Crazy!
I wish we could get them that cheap in Europe.. here they come out like 6 months later and cost €400 -.-

What wasn't good about them? Details please. :) Please give model types. I don't want to waist money on a phone that is crap. Thanks

they was 3 different models one was >$100 and second was ~$170 and the other >$200

the touch screen are totally crap (when you want to open something you need to click on it 2-3times)
some dont come with english manual
some don't have extrenal memory card
one of them was labeled at 8GB but i figured its just 32mb with no extra memory card !
Difficult to use

i bought all these phones directly from china stores on Jan-Feb 2009 i don't know how good is the DX cell phones

personaly i dont't like cheap phones

It will cost me $200 alone just to break my contract with ATT

they was 3 different models one was >$100 and second was ~$170 and the other >$200

the touch screen are totally crap (when you want to open something you need to click on it 2-3times)
some dont come with english manual
some don't have extrenal memory card
one of them was labeled at 8GB but i figured its just 32mb with no extra memory card !
Difficult to use

i bought all these phones directly from china stores on Jan-Feb 2009 i don't know how good is the DX cell phones

personaly i dont't like cheap phones

I am not a fan of the cheap ones either. I don't really have a choice right now though. :(