Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me decide on my first laser, please!

Well, I think I'm finally in the market for a small laser, and it's about time! LOL. The last time I used a laser was over 20 years ago (high school physics class), and it was a "lab version" Spectra-Physics HeNe. This will be the first laser I have ever OWNED. I'm sure it won't be the last one I purchase, but for the time being, it'll have to "keep me busy" until I find more disposable income laying around (hah!).

And since I'm on a budget, I'll have to settle for something non-burning. I'm actually not all that interested in lighting matches or burning stuff anyway, so it's no big deal.

I'm used to carrying a flashlight with me (pocket, or belt "pouch"), and I'm used to the size of my StreamLight Scorpion (Tactical Hand-Held Series - Scorpion® | Streamlight), so I think I'm leaning more towards a flashlight style host over a pen style. As you all know, two AAA batteries take up more real estate in length than the single CR123A battery. Plus, I already have CR123A 3V Lithium batteries for my flashlight anyway, so keeping to that type of battery makes sense to me.

Upon doing some research online (here on LPF, laser pointer "suppliers," and green firearms laser sight manufacturers), I've decided to go with a green 532nm laser over the red. I like the higher visibility of the dot/beam, and I actually admire/appreciate the technology inside the green laser module much more than the red modules, so green is my final decision for my first laser. I'll probably get a red laser eventually, but for now, I'm worried about green lasers.

I decided to compile a simple Excel chart on the various pen pointers and torches out there, so I could easily and visually compare products and make a decision. Please let me know if my reasoning is flawed (based on my criteria), or if I missed any key sites that may have a better deal/product to consider.

I've looked at the following online stores:

Dragon Lasers
LaserGlow
LEDshoppe
NOVAlasers
O-Like
Optotronics
Rayfoss
SKYlasers
Z-BOLT

So, if we filter out all the companies that only sell the long skinny AAA pen pointers, we're left with these companies and models as possibilities:

LaserGlow Galileo-3 (3-4 mW) or Galileo-5 (4-5 mW)
O-Like Transformable and Adjustable Pointer (50 mW)
Rayfoss Green Laser Torches (between 10 mW and 50 mW)
Z-BOLT Astro-10 (4-5 mW)

(and FYI: I think I will pick up one of those LEDshoppe 50mW pen pointers just because of their price!)

Next, I look at Output Power and price together. Since I'm on a budget, I decide to drop the LaserGlow and Z-BOLT items since they're limited to 5mW but hold the highest price tags (±$70).

So, now I'm down to two main choices:

O-Like 50mW Transformable/Adjustable
Rayfoss 40-50mW Torches

I really like the look of the Rayfoss hosts, and their prices. Plus the models I'm interested in are waterproof (a bonus). They all range from 10 to 50 mW all under $45.

The O-Like isn't waterproof, but it features an adjustable focus, and can use two different battery sizes (transformable). Price is $40.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Rayfoss Torches, but I'm not 100% sold on them quite yet.

Did I miss anything out there that falls within my criteria that I should consider?

Which would you choose given a budget and this being a first laser purchase?

Thank you in advance for any input and suggestions and assistance you may offer.

mpk01

i just picked the Rayfoss 50mW waterproof unit. because in future, i still can use the host. I can just buy another high power green laser module (200+mw) in future and put it into the host.

I have an old version dilda 200mw from o-like i have to say thier cust service Susie are owesome (Rayfoss Faona also). I also same as u, was considering the 50mw adjustable laser from o-like and 50mw waterproof from rayfoss.

First point, O-like + shipping = USD45.99 and the rayfoss 50mw waterproff = USD 45.00.

Second point, O-like Adjustable 50mw can burn black colour stuff and even light matches when focused into small dot. Rayfoss waterproff 50mw can burn black colour stuff but cannot light matches.

Third point, O-like Adjustable 50mw cannot change module (at the time u want a higher power laser, u must purchase another unit). Rayfoss waterproff 50mw can be disassemble and u can buy higher power green laser module to fit it in and got your high power laser.

Fourth point, O-like Adjustable 50mw is transformable and have adjustable lens. Rayfoss waterproff 50mw fixed focused and cannot be transformable but it is WATERPROFF~

Both lasers also have nice beam. and my conclusion is... if u want a burning ability, go for the o-like unit since it's adjustable lens but u cant change module in future(many ppl will try to get higher mW of thier green laser in future). if u don care about burning effect, go for the rayfoss unit, it's waterproff and in future if u want more mW, u can just buy a module n fit it into the host(higher mW will have more visible beam and if the power is high enough, it also can light matches and have owesome beam).

And in the end, i go for the Rayfoss 50mw Waterproof unit. ^^ try to speak to Faona from Rayfoss via MSN about it or if u want the O-like 50mw transformable and adjustable len, try speak to Susie via MSN. They both have owesome customer service.

Happy Choosing~

if your not looking to spend alot i recommend ledshop here is my video of their 30mw model.

mpk01

yea i have to agree with kevinmassey, but LED Shoppe lasers cant change module~ that's the reason i don choose it althought it's cheap, i rather save those money to get a better 1~ ^^

D

Deleted member 8382

if it's your first laser and you are not in USA, just go for the DX50mW pointer. Look for true green laser pointer 50mW on dealextreme.com

After spending 20$ and having an idea of what 50mW is, then jump into the next laser. spending 50$ in a 50mW laser is a waste of money IMO

Yours
Albert

i just picked the Rayfoss 50mW waterproof unit. because in future, i still can use the host. I can just buy another high power green laser module (200+mw) in future and put it into the host.
Thanks for your input! I like all of your points. I'm not really worried about burning anything or popping balloons, but I do like the ability to swap out the module for a larger one and use the same host. Plus, it's waterproof.

if your not looking to spend alot i recommend ledshop here is my video of their 30mw model.
Thanks for sharing the video. I will probably pick up one of the LEDshoppe's pen pointers as well, because of their low price.

if it's your first laser and you are not in USA, just go for the DX50mW pointer. Look for true green laser pointer 50mW on dealextreme.com

After spending 20$ and having an idea of what 50mW is, then jump into the next laser. spending 50$ in a 50mW laser is a waste of money IMO
Thanks for your suggestion, but I am in the USA (DE is Delaware), so DX won't ship anything larger than the 5mW to me here.

D

Deleted member 8382

Then I suggest you the same I said but change Dealextreme for Ledshope. If you're going rayfoss or O-like buy a 150mW laser, but for 50mW the normal pointers are already OK.

Then I suggest you the same I said but change Dealextreme for Ledshope. If you're going rayfoss or O-like buy a 150mW laser, but for 50mW the normal pointers are already OK.
So you're saying that for something around 50mW just stick with the pen pointer type? Like the LEDshoppe 50mW pointer for $24.99? Instead of a flashlight version for almost twice that price?

That does make sense, as a first step into this hobby. I suppose I could grab a 50mW pen pointer for my first laser and spend some time learning with that, and then when I'm able to spend some more money on a higher power laser, I'll get a flashlight/torch type laser around 150mW like you suggested.

Thanks for your help! And for saving me some money!

If anyone else has more to suggest, I'm all ears. I'm not ordering anything today anyway (rent is due).