Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help making a laser

I was thinking of making a green laser but I’m kind of a noob and so I don’t really know where to get the supplies and stuff.  I was thinking of making it in a dorcy flashlight that requires 3 AAA batteries.

Where do i get a diode that could get me a green colored laser with 100 mW+

And I’ve seen in some videos on YouTube that you need a top of an axis module.
Also someone said something to me about needing something that makes it so you won’t have voltage spikes running down the life of the diode

Tell me if any of that stuff is a bad idea or how it could be improved.

thanks       :D

heres some pics of the dorcy i bought...  

Attachments

• all2.JPG.png
    all2.JPG.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 91

from what ive heard it is very hard to make a green laser, but i dont know i havent tried.
but good luck trying to build one

ive only heard of 1 homemade dpss laser the reason its soo hard is because green lasers really use a powerfull 808nm(infared)diode and a array of crystals an mirrors arryed to make the beam green i would suggest trying a red laser for you first one loads easyer by the way welcome to the forum ;D

thanks, would a red one be weaker than a green one?

also where would i get a good diode of what kind

PhysX

How about you just search a little bit? It's not difficult and you will get your answer much faster...Posts like that piss me off.

PhysX said:
How about you just search a little bit? It's not difficult and you will get your answer much faster...Posts like that piss me off.

even the guy who knows what hes talking about told me

ur not one to talk with ur 13 posts

and thanks tvard

people that diss new members piss me off ;D i have had plenty of questions before and now that i know a little its fun to help others

All he has to do is spend ONE hour just skimming some of the posts int he experimetns section... and i guarentee almost ALL of his questions would be answered. This forum is great casue theres so much information available, but its useless if people dont read it!

-Dough

DoughDTD said:
All he has to do is spend ONE hour just skimming some of the posts int he experimetns section... and i guarentee almost ALL of his questions would be answered.  This forum is great casue theres so much information available, but its useless if people dont read it!

-Dough

uh.. you definately didnt help and ya i did search for a lot of it... although a little confermation would be nice..

thanks for all of your great help dough

Gazoo

sonicboom165 said:
will that dorcy work?
(pics in first post)

Please go and read the through the Experiments and Modifications section of the forum. Especially the threads of interest which is stickied to the top of the section. All of your questions are answered there. I realize you are new but you can gain so much knowledge by doing some reading. And welcome to the forum.. :)

BTW, there is no thing as a green diode. If you want to build a red laser, all the information you need is already posted.

gazoo...

i just wanted to know if that specific flashlight will work...

and it does not say that on the fourms a specific dorcy flashlight wont work...
thanks for the help gazoo

That looks just like the one "Jake21" furnished to me for use as a host to build into a laser for him.  I wasn't able to fit a proper driver in there due to lack of room and lack of voltage but I was able to use a simple current limiting resistor with the usual cap/diode protection on the LD.  I just selected a resistor to give me the desired current with fresh batteries.  IMO, that flashlight isn't ideal for conversion but it is do-able.  

I had to press out the lens assembly (which wasn't easy) and then make an aluminum adapter that served as a press-in interface to the Aixiz module which when assembled, "sandwiched" the adapter  The back cover of the Aixiz module was cut down for clearance with the PCB assembly.  Since the stock pcb used a current limiting resistor I figured I would just replace the resistor with the proper value for the LD running at 4.5 volts (3 AAAs).  This turned out to be a mistake and cost me an LD however...  The stock current limiting resistor was in circuit on the low side of the battery.  Since the LD is also grounded at it's case,and subsequently through the the Aixis module to the case adapter and head, it worked great right up until I screwed the head onto the base, effectively shorting out the current limiting resistor (Doh!).  I then had to start over with a new LD and make some trace cuts to install the current limiting resistor on the battery high side.  All was well after that.  Because there wasn't room to screw the head all way down on the base, I installed a set screw in the head to keep it from turning.

DSCF0665sm.jpg

DSCF0667sm.jpg

DSCF0669sm.jpg

DSCF0670sm.jpg

I sent this laser to Jake21 and while delivery tracking shows it as delivered, he claims he never received it.  It turned out pretty nice.. What a shame for it to get lost.

Gazoo

sonicboom165 said:
gazoo...

i just wanted to know if that specific flashlight will work...

and it does not say that on the fourms a specific dorcy flashlight wont work...
thanks for the help gazoo

Almost any flashlight can be modded into a laser. Since that particular flashlight takes three batteries all you would need is a laser diode, a capacitor and an AMC7135 driver.