Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Help, is my laser dieing??

Matrix

I decided to put a match in a clear cup and light it.. the result was successfull but i think the beam touched the diode and now when i use the laser instead of just seeing a dot i see a dot and like a red shadow around the dot. is there any chance it damaged the laser? it only took 1 second to light so it wasnt on it very long at all.

All answers will help :)
Thanks!

pschlosser

May be. it's been reported, before, when a 532nm green was reflected back into the laser it cooked it. if that's what you got, be careful. it is still outputting a lot of energy, but in the IR range. That will cook your eyes and you won't even know it because IR is hard to see.

Matrix

Its a red 650nm 250mw laser is that a problem?

Last edited:

Matrix

No, i dont think so i handle my laser with lots of care when im done i remove the battery put the laser in the bubble pop thing it came in and put it back in the box. I make sure nothing touches it xD

Cyparagon

If by shadow you mean halo, it means the lens is dirty. The surface of a glass you used will not reflect the beam back into the aperture well. It's more likely you got smoke on the lens.

Last edited:

DrSid

Btw. 200mW reds are known to be very sensitive to back-reflection. There were at least two reports here about them dying to back-reflection this month alone.

RedDart

Its a red 650nm 250mw laser is that a problem?
I had the same problem with the same laser.

Here's my thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/laser-mirror-reflection-pics-79850.html

Sounds very odd Ive had 500mw lasers that could not light a match so a second sounds good to me.
If your 500mW can't light a match, you probably have a <80mW. Is it focusable? If not, it should still light a match at 500mW. Maybe the batteries you're using are too weak?

Last edited: