Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help Identifying Parts?

Hey there, I just took apart a wall-wart (didn't need it, so I figured I would try to salvage some parts from it), and I stumbled upon a couple of parts that seemed like I would be able to use them for building a driver? Or at least I can use them for something... so without further ado, pictures and descriptions!

620035318_2214411124_0.jpg

This one has an "S" like logo on the top right, 603 on the top left, and MBRIOIOOCT on it below those things... whatever the hell that means.
Below all that is something that looks like two diodes facing one another?

---

620035069_2214410159_0.jpg

This one is similar size and shape to the LM317T (as is the previous one) but has no metal backplate on it. Inprinted is:

F..M...G20
FQPF
5N6QC

---

620034861_2214409469_0.jpg

Finally, this one. It's about the same size as the previous two, just different shaped. It has this on the front.

HD...<backwards>RL</backwards>
KBP206
+ ~ -

---

So can anyone help me identify these parts? Thanks.

Pardon image sizes.

Last edited:

Missing something? Like the photos?

Identifying if something is a capacitor or some other passive element might be useful. However, if you're looking a chip part numbers, google it yourself, as that's what we'd end up doing.

Lumin

I can't see your pictures for some reason... but it's not very likely you'll find much of use in making a simple driver in the wall wart...
I'm going to guess here:
-The thing that looks like it has diode symbols printed on it might be a Rectifier... does it have 4 legs? Rectifiers help make DC from AC so probably won't be too useful for a purely DC driver.
-The three-legged things that look like 317s are probably generic transistors, you could maybe use one to provide a regulated amount of current but that requires some calculations and resistors.

What you need for making a really basic driver:
-if the voltage you have access to is already ~3V DC, you can get by without voltage regulation. Otherwise you pretty much need a regulator. (other options are way more complex)
-Something to limit current: a resistor... you need a big beefy resistor because a lot will flow through it. Or a lot of higher-value resistors that you can combine, more on this if you're interested.
-A capacitor: keeps noise you make when turning the circut on from killing your diode. This you might find in a wall wart... the type you're looking for is usually cylindrical and mostly black with a white / gray stripe along one side.

I'd really recommend using one of the many circuits people have posted elsewhere on the site for your first homebrew power supply, and buying the components you need... if you live in a city there's likely a component store, and otherwise online options aren't that overpriced. Digikey for instance has (usually) overnight shipping for whatever you buy for $8...
Beats burning out a good diode in my opinion : ) Also easier to debug, and if something doesn't work there's a better chance of getting help with it.

Having said that, if you really really want to do this with scrounged parts, I can give you hints as to what to look for at value village / whatever old-electronics-selling thrift store is near you. It'll also cost just as much as digikey in all probability.

Eh, I have built a few home-brew drivers myself already, and I am working on a fourth (this one the smallest of all), I was just wondering if I found some useful parts so I don't have to shell out $2-4 on some special part online or something. I can fix the pictures if necessary, but it doesn't sound like anything that would be useful - was just hoping I found a LM338 or something along those lines.

In regards to the thing that may be a rectifier - no, it does not.

It looks like this ->|o|<-

Anyway, thanks for the help, guess I will just use the parts I get in the mail when I received them (recently ordered about 50 SMD resistors of varying types to make a bunch of different value set drivers, 30 LM317s, 50 10uF SMD caps, 50 1N4001 diodes and 10 LM1117s so I can have a nice, driver supply kit).

Eh, I have built a few home-brew drivers myself already, and I am working on a fourth (this one the smallest of all), I was just wondering if I found some useful parts so I don't have to shell out $2-4 on some special part online or something. I can fix the pictures if necessary, but it doesn't sound like anything that would be useful - was just hoping I found a LM338 or something along those lines.

In regards to the thing that may be a rectifier - no, it does not.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guess I will just use the parts I get in the mail when I received them (recently ordered about 50 SMD resistors of varying types to make a bunch of different value set drivers, 30 LM317s, 50 10uF SMD caps, 50 1N4001 diodes and 10 LM1117s so I can have a nice, driver supply kit).

Make the pictures work lol He really has no True Idea unless you post pictures. Altho he May be very smart and possibly is close. But with out pictures hes still guessing. Fix the Pics Please

Lumin

Got the pictures working!

I don't believe you : P

And as Krogith (and I) said, I'm really just guessing! If I can read the designations on the component pics I might be able to link you to the datasheets, or at very least tell you which part of the writing is the part number... at which point finding a data sheet should be easy

GBD

From the sounds of the description, it is a schottkey diode pair. (not your typical diode rectifier)

The other device you mentioned, the one that had + ~ - is typical markings of a bridge rectifier (AC -> fullwave DC). this device should have 4 pins. 2 for the ~ inputs (AC) and then 2 more for the -/+ outputs.

Your pictures are still not working, and I can't be certain what I said is accurate to your parts without any pics.

Last edited:

Lumin

From the sounds of the description, it is a schottkey diode pair.

o good call, that does match the description

So if not a rectifier, is it a clipper in this application???
EDIT: please disregard above question, I'm still curious as to its potential use in a AC/DC converter but a schottky pair as a clipper doesn't make much sense...

I'm actually curious to see pics now : )

Last edited:
Yeah, you got 'em spot on! I can't seem to get pictures working though... my phone is being retarded. Anyway, I just spent the last three hours cleaning up spilled printer toner from my carpet, and it still looks like shit. Pardon my Klingon.

HIMNL9

The MBR10100 is a schottky rectifier, probably from TSC, if the logo looks like a "S" with a diode in the middle ..... datasheet here

The KBP206 is simply a 2A bridge rectifier.

The second one you posted, is difficult ..... the "5N6" and the rest looks as PART of a partnumber, you need the complete one, for try to identify it ..... anyway, if it have the shape of an LM regulator, but without the metal plate (i mean, the metal plate is covered from plastic), it can be a high voltage power transistor, or more probably a power mosfet.