Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Help) How to drive a Coherent Diode

Recently I am planning setting up a high power 808nm fiber couple laser pumping system by using a Coherent FAP-800 40W LD. I already got all the parts I need, but drivers. There seems no driver on the market can handle such a high current that diode needs with lower cost. And by high current, I mean over 30A. It seems I have to build one myself, because I don't want to spend $300 to buy a 50A PSU just for the diode use. I need this driver supply current at least 40A, 60 will be great. Also I hope I can modulate control my driver, TTL or analog even PWM, either one will be fine. Can anyone give me some ideas. :bowdown:

Sometimes lasers are expensive, no surprise here. A diode bar isn't one of the more common lasers. Building a driver yourself would be the cheapest and easiest solution, or find somebody to do it. I still have to build a driver for my own 20W diode bars, I have all the components.

Hello: Bluefan can you share a little bit more about what regulator or method you are going to use to power it up?

Last edited:
My idea is in the attachment. You should be able to find the proper resistor values yourself. I included an SCR for overvoltage protection, I'm not sure if I placed that one right. The rest should work, I've built a diver like this before, but I didn't test it thoroughly though.
edit: The mosfet I took in the circuit is probably not the mosfet you want,just pick a suitable one. V1 is the high current power source, V2 is only for the opamp.

Attachments

• ld_bar_drive.jpg
    ld_bar_drive.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
My idea is in the attachment. You should be able to find the proper resistor values yourself. I included an SCR for overvoltage protection, I'm not sure if I placed that one right. The rest should work, I've built a diver like this before, but I didn't test it thoroughly though.
edit: The mosfet I took in the circuit is probably not the mosfet you want,just pick a suitable one. V1 is the high current power source, V2 is only for the opamp.

Thank you very much
I will look at it!!

I Purchased a 12w Coherent Diode on ebay. I want to pulse the light. I need a power supply for this application. Could one use one of 10 farad car stereo capacitor pack, use a mosfet switch to keep the capacitors charged in the 2v range for the desired requirement? In pulse mode, does the Coherent diode laser need any current between pulses?
Thank you.

W

Wadsworth

This is a very old thread, but I am interested in pulsing a FAP800 800nm diode too, does anyone know if these does are normally used on and off or continuous? Any idea if these can be used continuous duty cycle or hours at a time?

This is a very old thread, but I am interested in pulsing a FAP800 800nm diode too, does anyone know if these does are normally used on and off or continuous? Any idea if these can be used continuous duty cycle or hours at a time?

You have already opened a Thread asking the same questions.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/coherent-fap800-ir-laser-am-modulation-79427.html#post1141529

No need to dig up an old Thread.

You could have PMed one of the Posters on this Thread instead.

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

W

Wadsworth

Thank you Jerry, I'm never come back. How come you didn't PM me with this instead of making a public complaint? I searched for well over an hour and what I read didn't satisfy my questions, maybe I missed it and it was there to easily find, but I read post after post in string after string on this particular unit and didn't get what I was after. Before you start pulling out your wet noodle to lash out at newbies because you ASSUMED they didn't search, you might try a PM and get your head strait on what is happening.

Last edited:
Thank you Jerry, I'm never come back. How come you didn't PM me with this instead of making a public complaint? I searched for well over an hour and what I read didn't satisfy my questions, maybe I missed it and it was there to easily find, but I read post after post in string after string on this particular unit and didn't get what I was after. Before you start pulling out your wet noodle to lash out at newbies because you ASSUMED they didn't search, you might try a PM and get your head strait on what is happening.
What a Drama Queen.....:eek:
Are you mentally unstable....:thinking:
Do you not understand the written word or what I wrote...:thinking:

How come you didn't PM me with your question that I have
no answers to ?

I said you were duplicating your question on a 2nd Thread
besides the one you had already opened.
That is called SPAMMING the Forum..

I suggested it may be better to ask your questions to the posters
of this Thread by PM rather than NECROPOSTING...

I did NOT mention anything about NOT SEARCHING...
That was invented by you to get sympahy.

Perhaps no-one knows the answer to your question...

Bye Bye.....Like I told you previously... don't let the
door hit you in the A$$ on the way out...:wave:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

:crackup: You thought that was rude?!?!

You're not going to last long on this interwebz thing.