Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help finding laser infomation

jbtm

I was at school and really wasn't suppose to be in the back when they brought in the old electronics class parts into our room (no longer offering the class). On my way out my eye (no surprise) caught something that looked fun, and I saw a laser beam symbol. Seeing the size of it, i figured it must be a power laser. I cannot find ANY infomation on it, just a schematic, which doesn't label the laser!

The decently large laser (guessing 12x3x4 inches) reads LASERTRAINER ET-4200. Google brings up a Healthkit brand. Anyone familiar with these machines as to how much power the laser is, the color? I might ask my teacher tomorrow if I can have it / buy it from him, after seeing if it works.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laser/ET-ETW4200.pdf

I just thought Id find the wattage before asking, because if its old and only a 100mW red..green then I don't care to bother. I figured since its such a big machine, AND running 120V, hopefully it was a watt. There was tape on the top reading "DO NOT LOOK INTO BEAM!!!!" It was mounted on a black board with a small 4x4x6" meter of some sort also, Interested me.

"This is from a Heathkit "Laser Trainer" (model number unknown, but probably the ET/ETW-4200) and includes an inverter/switchmode power supply for both the HeNe tube high voltage and the modulator. Unfortunately, Heathkit used their own part numbers for many components so part values aren't available for most components. It has "mic" and "aux" inputs (bandwidth unknown). Heathkit also provided a matching laser receiver for this trainer. "

But I'd like to know if its possible to find the wattage...Know if these can burn...How visable the beam is...

Last edited:

Yes. Well, sorry to disappoint you, but HeNes seldom top 50mW. And at that size, you're lucky to get 10.

jbtm

Mind I ask why people are so fond of them then? They cost so much but what's so special about HENEs when you can get cheaper lasers with more power? Is there stuff you can do with them that you cant do with other lasers?