Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help buying my first red pointer...

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and am looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a red pointer in the 25-40mw range. Preferably one that will allow me to remove the lens cap and use the diode without it. I'd also like a laser that will allow me to run it for at least a few minutes continuously without burning it out.

Suggestions?

Blord

Welcome to the LPF forum !

You could buy a user build laser with a Aixiz lens. The power can be set at any mW.
At 25-40mW it has unlimited duty cycle. The heat output isn't much.
The cheapest solution is a C6 host with a LPC-815 red diode. I can make one if you want.

Last edited:

sinner

Blord is right!! Or You'd have to find one that fits you needs..
P.S: LPC-815's can produce upto 275mW with a regular lens.. So in future if u want to upgrade it, you wouldnt have to buy a new laser, just send it back to Blord to change the resistor value or just do it yourself if you know how to solder!! ;)
:beer:

Last edited:

Stix62

Fretwrecker is right!! Or You'd have to find one that fits you needs..
P.S: LPC-815's can produce upto 275mW with a regular lens.. So in future if u want to upgrade it, you wouldnt have to buy a new laser, just send it back to fretwrecker to change the resistor value or just do it yourself if you know how to solder!! ;)
:beer:

Fretwrecker? :confused:
Did you mean Blord? :D

sinner

lOl!! Hell i need a coffee its 1:00am, Fret also has a red laser avatar!! :S :p

Last edited:

sinner

Ibuprofen, good question.. should have figured it out !! :curious:

lOl!! Hell i need a coffee its 1:00am, Fret also has a red laser avatar!! :S :p

:beer: howdy!

I do not know if faucets collection can help you.

This is spam.... but it's really funny spam.... I'm debating whether or not to report it.

I agree with Blord, though. If you want an unlimited duty cycle, set a high power red to a low power. And sinner is right, you won't necessarily have to get new diode to make a more powerful one, should you choose to!

If you really want it to run for a very long time I'd suggest getting a SAiK SA-305. That way you have a huge heatsink. And it takes 3xAA batteries. So if you DIY'd an LM1117 Driver you could power it at a low power for a while since, at that current at least, it can be run off of ~4.2V and a little under. So hey, you could even use a 32650 Li-ion

I think it has something to do with the Vf being closer to 3V instead of 3.3-3.4V given the low current. So the drop out from the driver can be taken care of with enough supply voltage to power the diode at a low current.

I had an old build with a Rkcstr driver that ran at just under 200mA IIRC with a CR123. It's worth a shot! You'll probably get 25-40mW no problem with that set up!

Or hey if you wanna use a diode specifically designed for that range, go with an old 4x burner. I have a diode that I run at 83mA that gives me ~35mW that came from an old 4x from 2001.

Hopefully this gave some ideas!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

So, as a newb, I'm just trying to understand everything required here. I see that a driver is needed to supply a steady power source so as to not burn out the diode...but what about some of the modules?

For example, does this module need a driver?

650nm 25mW Laser Module 3.2VDC 12x30mm, AixiZ

jimdt7

@BrightDog
The laser module you posted, already has a driver built in, so the only thing you must do is power it with 3.2 Volts ;)

Jim

@BrightDog
The laser module you posted, already has a driver built in, so the only thing you must do is power it with 3.2 Volts ;)

Jim

Well, that just seems too easy. :)

Can that type of module be powered with batteries rather than a DC adapter?