Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help building my first DIY red burner

Alright, I have composed a bunch of info for building my first red burner. I have a list of what I know I need for sure:

A 16x DVD burner diode and Axis Module (Will probably buy a pre- assembled one off of stonetek).

A host (Would like some reccomendations for one)

A driver (Will probably buy one of rkcstr's Micro-Driver laser drivers)

If I am missing anything on this list please add what I need and where to get it.

Thank you  :)

chido

For a host you could get an MXDL.
Get two rechargeable CR123s from DX.
A charger.
A heatsink from jayrob.

And there you go, you're now the owner of a high powered red laser. ;D

PS, and of course get some goggles, you don't want to go blind do you? :p

Thanks for the rest of my list :). I already have a pair of goggles that protect from 650nm. Would standing behind the laser and burning things without goggles mess up my eyes or am I safe from most of the IR when standing behind it?

chido

Most people use the goggles for burning up close, so yeah you do need to wear them when burning things. ;D
You don't have to worry about IR, these diodes output 650 - 660nm red light only. No IR.

Thanks alot, You've been very helpfu :). Now I just have to get all the parts I need. I'll probably post another thread after I assemble all the parts because this is my first DIY and I'll probably need some help.

Thanks again :)

chido

No problem, if you need anymore help just ask, and be sure to posts lots of pics and vids when you're done. ;D

I do have a couple more questions that have been bothering me about this. There not really that important but I'm curious to know how much mW this kind of burner would put out and how long of a life would this type of laser have at a good mA? I would like to know how much mA I should use for this laser too so I can specify how much mA I need in my order for my driver.

EDIT: NVM I got my answer from one of your posts chido