Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help! 405nm Blue-Ray Build

I am brand new to this site but have been reading many tutorials and looking into many laser forums and so far have a successful build minus one issue. :(

i have a 405nm blue ray diode that i seated in an aixiz housing with their 405 lens. i put this into a mini Maglite (2 cell AA)

i found that the diode runs around 150mW at 6v, i have been using 4 standard AA batteries to test the diode until i got all of the parts to put it all together but now The Problem is : i only have 2 cells in this flash light and i need 6 volts. i planned on using these batteries ***Varta CR AA 3V/2000mAh Lithium "AA" Battery*** because i couldn't seem to find any other AA batteries that were 3v each. Is there a special charger for these? or do you know of any other way i can accomplish this?

Thanks!

you dont need 6v for blu ray ... just use 2 14500's
and you do have a driver and HS right??

Are you not using a driver.? You Need to use a Driver.

A simple LM117 Driver will work great with 2x 14500.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html

What 405nm diode do you have. Is it a PHR-803T,GGW-H20L,SF-AW210. Those are the only 3 i can think of at that power.

I would stop direct connecting your diode to the batteries. Before you damage it. If you haven't already.

Also as suggested above, get a heatsink. ASAP. The diode is probably screaming hot without one.

405nm 150mw burning blu-ray laser diode. USA 3 day Ship - eBay (item 270719516774 end time Apr-12-11 08:34:23 PDT)

^^^this is the diode i'm using

thanks for the quick replies by the way, i dont have a driver =/ or heat sink, i saw that jayrob was selling some custom ones for different flashlights (driver included on one i believe) would i better off changing my housing? i dont really know of a heat sink that fits a mini mag
this would be far easier if there was a class for this or something, im more of a visual learner when it comes to "projects"

Last edited:
Are You using a Driver?? We need more info, but a linear driver would need 6.5v. You need to use 3.7v batteries like 10440s etc.

...thanks for the quick replies by the way, i dont have a driver =/ or heat sink...
Then don't power the diode! If you've been reading many tutorials as you've said, you should know that powering diodes directly from a battery is A Very Bad Idea and will likely kill your diode sooner or even sooner. Running without a heatsink won't kill it directly but a high temperature shortens it's life a lot.

well you don't need a large heat sink for a low powered laser you should be fine. to make it all work in the mini mag light you will need:

a boost driver and keep your current standard aa bats.
or a linear driver and switch to 14500 3.7v batts. using 2 for a total of 7+vdc.

michael.

i apologize for being so new to this, this is my first attempt at a build and im trying to be cost affective. where would i go about getting a linear driver so that i could keep it at a steady 6v? and yes i started to follow kipkays tut up until i found this site so unfortunately i was exposed to poor quality early.

i apologize for being so new to this, this is my first attempt at a build and im trying to be cost affective. where would i go about getting a linear driver so that i could keep it at a steady 6v? and yes i started to follow kipkays tut up until i found this site so unfortunately i was exposed to poor quality early.

its not suposed to be 6v
get 2 14500's and your good to go
and you can just make a simple lm317t driver
search here and you will find some tuts on what resistor to use and all