Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could tell me or show me to a guide that would explain what different components are in a laser. Basically i am trying to build a >120 mw red laser. i have very little clue were to buy the right boards and diodes and housings. I cant seem to find anything on the forum search or google. Thank a lot guys. Also the laser does not need to be hand held. i would actually prefer a non-hand held laser. Thanks again you all.

chido

You can get diodes alone or preinstalled in aixiz housings here:
http://sales.stonetek.org/
This is the thread on how to build a circuit:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612
If you don't want to make the circuit, here's the thread where you can buy one:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1191898669/0
It's good that you want the laser to be only 120mW, you see, the owner of the store from the first link got a bad batch of diodes, and apparently most of them can only be pushed to a max of 180mA giving about 130mW.
Here's the link regarding that subject:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1199990106

Oh, and welcome to the forum. ;D

bcroft

post a thread in the "buy,sell,or trade" section asking to buy parts and this person might have a diode rated for >120mW and this other person might have a driver.  the links chido posted are great links.  the link for building your own circuit is an awesome resource. i learned alot from it as i was just begining to read about laser projects.

if you are going to use the LM317T voltage regulator you are going to need a 10.4 or greater resistor to get >=120mW

Thank you all very much. Do you think it is possible to burn matches with 120mw fast? Or even possibly lighter colored cloth? Basicly i can buy a laser diode but i would rather use one from my old 16x DVD burner. Do you think that would create enough power? Thanks again

bcroft

i want to say yes but dont hold me too it.  im not as knowledgable as most here but i remeber reading someone said that 150mW could burn real well so 120mW may not be the fastest but it should burn a sharpied match at least.  never heard of cloth being burned though

chido

120mW should be good for burning anything that's dark, but since you say you have a different diode from your own dvd burner, you might be able to push it more, what brand is your dvd burner? If you have already salvaged the diode, can you post the # on it? There might be a data sheet for it.

Ok. i will salvage it later. i have a shatered shoulder and cant do very much right now. Does anyone have a link were i can buy a diode for cheap? i need it to be >150mw thanx

Gazoo

bcroft said:
i want to say yes but dont hold me too it. im not as knowledgable as most here but i remeber reading someone said that 150mW could burn real well so 120mW may not be the fastest but it should burn a sharpied match at least. never heard of cloth being burned though

When we first started with the SenKat diodes, I posted that running the diode with only 160ma's... it still is an awesome burner, and I stand by that statement. Then people started driving them with 250ma's, and a few at 300ma's and there were very few problems.

Recently we have learned the SenKat diodes have a high failure rate when being pushed with too much current, we don't know exactly why, but we do know it's happening. Therefore until SenKat gets to the root of the problem, I suggest running the diodes with no more than 160ma's. This will still provide enough output to light matches, cut tape and pop balloons... ;D And it is still a pretty nice beam too.

Hi chido and gazoo, can you check my new thread i need your help again, about the 2nd bluray laser im building again thanks. :)