Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello LPF from UK

1up

Hello, hello...from the UK

New to the world of lasers and done some research, reading some articles and watching YouTube videos. Part of my job involves security and identifying people in a large crowd and the fastest method is by using a red laser pointer, that brought me to the LPF.

I’m also interested in LED torches, have owned a few...Sipik SK68, Coast HX5, Led Lenser, Convoy S2, Ultrafire WF-501.....and more recently would like to start building my own torches either from individual components, custom housing etc and/or using a lathe to create a custom housing..!

LED torches being almost the same as Laser pointers I’d like to ultimately build my own laser to a spec I’m happy with and use for photography for creating imagery for club flyers and posters.

Thanks for looking in and I look forward to reading your posts on the LPF.

Welcome to the LPF. Some of us here also collect flashlights, but mostly we are about lasers. I hope you are able to learn as much as you would like in your efforts to build your own lasers. I have built many over the years. Also, be sure to get the appropriate eye protection as these lasers can blind anything with eyes faster than you can blink.

1up

Thanks for the info....Hoping to buy a laser power meter and some glasses.

Worked with a welder some years ago and he would regularly get welders flash, not the same as burning a hole in your eye but to a degree, being left with a blind spot or shadow in your vision is no joke.

An article about welders flash https://bjo.bmj.com/content/bjophthalmol/72/8/570.full.pdf

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, 1up! :)

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy your stay.

You're probably already aware of this, but welding helmets and glasses made for welding protection are useless for laser protection.

PS - Thanks for the link about welders flash!

Hi! Hope you enjoy your time here - There's a few of us from the UK on here, but not many :)

Do take care yourself - Many of the lasers users here build/buy can be very dangerous to the eye (laser safety glasses are a must), and make sure that if you're pointing lasers at random people in crowds, you keep the power down properly low for their safety!

People who arc weld without eyesight protection is just foolish. If you can't see to weld with the shield on because of dark conditions you are better off making the lighting conditions better than to go without the shield. :rolleyes: