Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, LPF this is YoungEdison

Hi LPF,

I bought the following lenses and lasers the other day my first ones...Man are they expensive. Anyways I bought some red LPC lasers and two convex lenses and a Plani convex and was messing around with them and found that if I take diodes and tape them together. side by side in a cluster or ring then i put them through the first convex and into the plano convex and finally the other smaller convex lens. I realized that you can get one beam out of four. I then tried it with one of diodes and it was the same width as the four and was wondering if this is similar to the way the Army uses lasers to shoot downn missles or do they use something else? Does anyone know what the power drop should be going through three glass lenses that are non AR coated and what the power should be at the focal point of last convex lens? Is there a formula or some way to easily calculate it our does it require alot knowledge in Physics. Because if so i am at a loss as i am an artist and horrible at math.

Thanks alot ,

YoungEdison

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here.

mat.jpg

The army uses a completely different technology, surly you could never shoot down a missile with a few diodes. ;)

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

zaery

Hi LPF,

I bought the following lenses and lasers the other day my first ones...Man are they expensive. Anyways I bought some red LPC lasers and two convex lenses and a Plani convex and was messing around with them and found that if I take diodes and tape them together. side by side in a cluster or ring then i put them through the first convex and into the plano convex and finally the other smaller convex lens. I realized that you can get one beam out of four. I then tried it with one of diodes and it was the same width as the four and was wondering if this is similar to the way the Army uses lasers to shoot downn missles or do they use something else? Does anyone know what the power drop should be going through three glass lenses that are non AR coated and what the power should be at the focal point of last convex lens? Is there a formula or some way to easily calculate it our does it require alot knowledge in Physics. Because if so i am at a loss as i am an artist and horrible at math.

Thanks alot ,

YoungEdison

Well, if the laser passes through anything, it will lose some power drop, it just depends on what it's passing through.To find the power loss, you could try a LPM, or know everything there is to know about the lenses you use, the air that is around you, and a bunch of physics.