Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello laserers!

So yeah, I've been lurking this forum for months now and just got an account about a month ago. I've learned quite a bit from my time here, even though this is my first post.

Something I have been interested in building for awhile now is a "safe" laser lighter, but I'm not sure what power I would need for it to work smoothly. Basically, the idea is to have the beam enclosed in something (maybe a tube) while whatever was being lit was inserted into some hole to be lit. It's intended to be just about as safe as using a normal lighter you would buy for $1, and without goggles. It's just a lighter that runs off of just battery power- I think that appeals to a lot of people, and I've never seen it done properly.

Depending on how expensive/difficult/impractical this is to do, I might just end up making something else based around a heating element like the stuff you find in toasters.

That's just something I have ideas for at this point, when I have something more I'll make a thread with some pictures/drawings and stuff.

Thank you guys for building such an informative site about lasers!

A 1 watt or higher 445nm diode in an enclosed case with a hole that allows for insertion of an object (eg cigarette) into the path of the laser beam would be my best guess. The beam of course projecting "sideways" so as to not protrude from the housing and just appear as a dim blue line if you looked into the aperture. Be best to make the case out of metal else the laser would melt it pretty quickly.

Seems like quite a nice idea - welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Your lighter might be a bit big but if you wait for the next gen 9mm 445nm diodes this idea is completely possible. The tube will have to have a beamdump at the end because you dont want the beam escaping or reflecting back into the diode.

Good idea! Would WOW everyone in its path :D

Welcome to the forum
:beer:
-Matt