Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Wales :)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum after trying to find mods that can be done to laser pens.
I am a 3d artist from the UK and have recently been looking into 3d scanning. I have been looking around for a cheap but decent line laser to scan with.
I have heard that people have been modding normal laser pointers to create a horizontal line which is the effect i'm looking for. Does anybody have any info on this or know where i can buy a cheap line laser from anywhere (or if anyone wants to sell an old one? )
I'm looking for a green one because they scan better apparantly but red also works.

Thanks
-Mac

Morgan

Hi to a valley dweller and welcome to the forum! :wave:

There are a number of places to get line generating optics or modules. There's a UK based company called Odicforce that has some line generating optics here - Optical Components and Diode Holders - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

I hope this helps and that you stick around for all the other cool stuff and info here. Check out the stickies and rules and have a good look round.

Enjoy your stay!

M
:)

ah never seen that site before. pretty fair prices too. Is there any way to mod a pointer to create a line at all. I've read and seen some images of people doing it but didn't say how :S
also if i purchased a laser pointer and a laser line module could i swap over the modules? or is it not that easy?? haha I really am a n00b when it comes to this.

and agra i do speak a very little bit but english is my native tongue.

Thanks
-Mac

Morgan

I can see it now.... Lasermeet in.... "RHYLL!". Oooh, that'll be nice then!

Back to the question...

Some of the optics on that page I linked to can just be put in front of a pointer and will create a line so the very simplest solution for a portable line generator would be to tape one in front of your pointer. I've seen a video of someone producing a 3D scan using a line produced by shining a low power green laser through the narrow stem of a wine glass, (it acts as a cylindrical lens), so you can probably achieve good results by just going to your kitchen cupboard. As for changing a module, this depends greatly on the pointer you have and your skills. You can run a line module without a housing as you are not talking high power so heat isn't going to be an issue. It really hinges on your particular application. Do you need dead-on precision or will a hack job surfice for the moment?

M

all this sounds like gobble de goop to me see haha. i thought it would be fairly easy to find a laser because back in the day i didnt know anyone without one haha.
But yeh it doesnt have to be perfect apparantly but from what i've read it needs to be a line projected onto object scanning. but the brighter and more clear and thin line works even better again. but since i havent actually give this ago im guessing a simple laser with a wine glass should really do.

-Mac

Morgan

Cool, a wine glass will get you started I should think. If you do want to improve things then a clearer link is this one -

Line Generator Disc (2-pack) - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop -

It will do what you want and you just have to put it in front of any laserpointer and you'll get a cleaner line than a wine glass when you want a better result.

Be nice to see some of your work when you're done. We like pics here! ;)

M

ahh this actually makes sense to me now :) you are all top class people. and major props to you Morgan :)

Thanks all
-Mac

ah never seen that site before. pretty fair prices too. Is there any way to mod a pointer to create a line at all. I've read and seen some images of people doing it but didn't say how :S
also if i purchased a laser pointer and a laser line module could i swap over the modules? or is it not that easy?? haha I really am a n00b when it comes to this.

and agra i do speak a very little bit but english is my native tongue.

Thanks
-Mac

Well, bore da! Sh'mae?

bore da to you too :)haha aint got a clue what sh'mae means though.

any ways was just thinking about powering a laser module.
I was checking this module out 5mW Focusing Laser Module - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop
and it says it can be powered with 4-6v. So i was wondering could i power this with a usb cable? because a usb cable is about 5v i do believe and all i'd need to do is connect red and black with red and black on usb cable. So could anyone tell me if this would actually work or not or would it blow it up or something? haha

Cheers
-Mac

WELCOME!!!

Good tip from Morgan--Odicforce-- very helpful and quality items.

peace---Len