Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from southern California.

I recently bought my first laser, a 30mW Green Laser from Optotronics, though the packaging info clocks it at 36mW. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is, since it's not quite as bright as shown in the reference video linked by this thread, but I don't have an LPM to measure it with, so we'll see how that goes when I get around to buying one.

Anyway, I'm not very knowledgeable about lasers, but I look forward to learning from you guys and eventually being able to contribute something of my own. This seems like a really great community to be a part of.

Welcome to LPF! If you have any questions make sure to ask them in the right category. We will try to answer them to the best of are ability as fast as we can. Also make sure to wear safety glasses whenever operating lasers above 5mw.

IsaacT

Welcome! When did you first become interested in lasers? Do you have any plans for this hobby(aka what would you like to get out of it)?

Welcome! When did you first become interested in lasers? Do you have any plans for this hobby(aka what would you like to get out of it)?
Well I've always thought lasers were pretty cool, to say the least, but after I started working a bowling alley where they use lasers all the time, I thought it'd be interesting to own one. I'm not really sure where I want to go with this, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the last laser I get my hands on.
Also it'd be nice if I could get into custom builds and all that later down the road. I still have a lot of research to do before that, though.

IsaacT

Custom builds is the most rewarding part of the hobby for me. The only thing I don't do well is hold onto builds. They tend to all hit the BST floor sooner or later. Except my Argon, mainly because i would loathe to have to ship it.

welcome! quick advice, just because most lasers people make look similar does not mean lasers HAVE to be made that way. A lot of our first builds were project boxes or something similar. If you are gonna get into building, start big, expendable, and cheap.