Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Philly!

Hi folks!

Been a long time viewer of these forums. I actually thought I made an account here a few years ago, but I was wrong. Anyway, my name is Anthony. Nice to meet you all!

I got turned on to this forum by accident when I was viewing the CandlePowerForums a few years ago. I love all stuff tech. Years ago I started my flashlight hobby, thanks to the people on that other website. I now have a decent collection of flashlights, some of them costing over $300. I always wanted to be able to light up an area with a huge wall of light, or light up a target a few football fields away. I can do that with some of my toys.

Well, lasers and flashlights kinda go hand in hand. My love for lasers started in the 80's when my cousin showed me this big and powerful red laser he had. I need to find out if he still has this thing. I remember it was contained in a long rectangular box. It was maybe 3"x3"x12". It was called Metrologic Neon Laser and I have attached a pic of what it looked like at the bottom of this post. We used to shine it out his attic window and hit the street signs to get the attention of the cars driving by. Yeah, we were misfits, but what else do you do in your early teen years? lol

Ever since those days I have always had a small obsession with lasers. I think thats what got me started with the flashlights. I've always owned cheap pointers, some I am sure were way over spec. I have come to the point in my life that I am ready to purchase a more powerful version of these incredible tools.

I have educated myself much throughout the years, thanks to this forum. I have read over the laser safety websites and have given some great thought to the dangers and pros/cons of owning a laser. I am now ready.

I know that many of you frown upon WickedLasers, but their big discount has pushed me heavily in their direction. It seems like they have cleaned up their act so I am willing to give them a try. I know that I could save money making one myself or purchasing one from another forum member. I know there are other options out there as well. I have given everything much thought and still feel that I will go with WL. I really like the look of them too.

My biggest decision I am having trouble making right now is which I want to go with. I would love one of their green 532nm lasers, but they are out of stock and a little too high in price compared to the others that are available. Right now it is in between their 750mW inferno and one of the 3 available arctics. I want both colors, but am leaning towards the blue. Maybe even the 2w version. Your thoughts? 40% off is a nice discount. I want bright and I want burn.

What are the advantages of getting the 1.4W over the 700mW? What are the advantages of getting the 2W over the 1.4mW and 700mW? How about the red 750mW? Is blue brighter than the red? Will one burn better than the other? Will one be more visible? I know red is harder to see than other colors.

What are your feelings on some of the accessories that are available? Expanded Lens Kit, Beam Expander, etc... Worth the price or just a bunch of hype?

Thanks for taking the time to read my long welcome post. I look forward to your replies.

-Anthony

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Hi folks! I just made this same post in the "Welcome" section, but if you guys are anything like me, you rarely go into "Welcome" forums and tend to stay in the more active "General" type of forums. I apologize if I am breaking any rules by double posting. I was just hoping to get some fast answers from our experienced contributors.

Been a long time viewer of these forums. I actually thought I made an account here a few years ago, but I was wrong. Anyway, my name is Anthony. Nice to meet you all!

I got turned on to this forum by accident when I was viewing the CandlePowerForums a few years ago. I love all stuff tech. Years ago I started my flashlight hobby, thanks to the people on that other website. I now have a decent collection of flashlights, some of them costing over $300. I always wanted to be able to light up an area with a huge wall of light, or light up a target a few football fields away. I can do that with some of my toys.

Well, lasers and flashlights kinda go hand in hand. My love for lasers started in the 80's when my cousin showed me this big and powerful red laser he had. I need to find out if he still has this thing. I remember it was contained in a long rectangular box. It was maybe 3"x3"x12". It was called Metrologic Neon Laser and I have attached a pic of what it looked like at the bottom of this post. We used to shine it out his attic window and hit the street signs to get the attention of the cars driving by. Yeah, we were misfits, but what else do you do in your early teen years? lol

Ever since those days I have always had a small obsession with lasers. I think thats what got me started with the flashlights. I've always owned cheap pointers, some I am sure were way over spec. I have come to the point in my life that I am ready to purchase a more powerful version of these incredible tools.

I have educated myself much throughout the years, thanks to this forum. I have read over the laser safety websites and have given some great thought to the dangers and pros/cons of owning a laser. I am now ready.

I know that many of you frown upon WickedLasers, but their big discount has pushed me heavily in their direction. It seems like they have cleaned up their act so I am willing to give them a try. I know that I could save money making one myself or purchasing one from another forum member. I know there are other options out there as well. I have given everything much thought and still feel that I will go with WL. I really like the look of them too.

My biggest decision I am having trouble making right now is which I want to go with. I would love one of their green 532nm lasers, but they are out of stock and a little too high in price compared to the others that are available. Right now it is in between their 750mW inferno and one of the 3 available arctics. I want both colors, but am leaning towards the blue. Maybe even the 2w version. Your thoughts? 40% off is a nice discount. I want bright and I want burn.

What are the advantages of getting the 1.4W over the 700mW? What are the advantages of getting the 2W over the 1.4mW and 700mW? How about the red 750mW? Is blue brighter than the red? Will one burn better than the other? Will one be more visible? I know red is harder to see than other colors.

What are your feelings on some of the accessories that are available? Expanded Lens Kit, Beam Expander, etc... Worth the price or just a bunch of hype?

Thanks for taking the time to read my long welcome post. I look forward to your replies.

-Anthony

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

gozert

Guess a welcome isn't really needed since you (like me) have been around here for a while already. For the lasers you are interested in Wickedlasers. I'd say that you should avoid buying from them and find a nice one here on the forums instead. Wickedlasers is known for bad customer service and shipping usually takes ages. Let alone returning a broken device.

Advantages of getting a 2w laser over a 700mw laser are for examble the outstanding burning capabilities and brighter beam/dot. Blue is brighter than red, and green is brighter than blue. There isn't a color that burns best, it's just the higher the output, the better the burning capabilities are.

Last edited:

Teej

Hey, just over the river from you.

:D

I second the rec to not buy there, and to buy from someone on the forum.

If on CPF, check out Tmack's Laser section. He's a great guy to talk to and a real enthusiast...and he stands behind his stuff. I go by the same name on CPF.

There's guys here who really know their stuff too.

Essentially, if you want bright, and you want burn, a lot depends on your budget.

I have a blue 3 watt that can light a cigarette at about 10' or so, and has a gorgeous fat blue light saber beam that is spectacular for pointing out stars, as well as building features on skyscrapers in broad daylight, etc.

When it was made, 3 watt was about as high as I could find for output. NOW, there's 6 watt versions....if you have like $500 for diode alone, that's pretty sweet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47163889@N08/14406289441/in/set-72157644736490340

Short clip of just playing with it.

Last edited:
I have a blue 3 watt that can light a cigarette at about 10' or so, and has a gorgeous fat blue light saber beam that is spectacular for pointing out stars, as well as building features on skyscrapers in broad daylight, etc.

When it was made, 3 watt was about as high as I could find for output. NOW, there's 6 watt versions....if you have like $500 for diode alone, that's pretty sweet.

That was pretty awesome! Where did you get that?

.....Essentially, if you want bright, and you want burn, a lot depends on your budget.

Actually the NDB7A75 is $220. Although I personally would strongly suggest starting with a "weaker", more eye-safe laser. Not only is it safer but you can use it without having to always have safety goggles on (when using it inside).

If I had the choice I would chose the 750mW inferno because..
From what I know, it has a corrective optics, witch you won't easily get elsewhere. (corrective optics change the infamous "line" from that diode to a cleaner "dot")
Second, you can get (445nm lasers) cheaper, more powerful with equal build quality or better from forum members (Or you could even build one yourself).

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
welcome, i grew up near philly and big Flyers and 76ers fan here

Best Regards,
-Ave

Welcome!

I will wait for others with more experience to answer your questions, but happy to welcome you.

Welocme to LPF! without going too much into detail, green is the brightest colour laser for its power output, have a little search around for visible spectrum charts etc, green is smack bang in the middle,
Dont forget to use the search bar!
cheerZ:beer:

Teej

That was pretty awesome! Where did you get that?

The 3 watt 445 nm I got from Tmack. He added a bunch of extra heat sinking and reenforced about everything in it.

Get laser goggles before getting a high powered laser though...the beam is so intense that an errant reflection could potentially blind you...and at closer ranges, a tree is reflective enough to be an issue....its that bright.

Anyone else see that he posted this thread twice?

Is there something wrong with that? The reason I posted in the General forum too is I knew I would get faster responses there because it is more active and some of the people in that forum don't visit this forum as often. I proved my theory correct right after doing so.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

The 3 watt 445 nm I got from Tmack. He added a bunch of extra heat sinking and reenforced about everything in it.

Get laser goggles before getting a high powered laser though...the beam is so intense that an errant reflection could potentially blind you...and at closer ranges, a tree is reflective enough to be an issue....its that bright.

I totally plan on getting goggles before I use any new laser I purchase. I went to the other forums yesterday and read through the first 5 pages of Tmack's posts. I have a lot more to read, but it seems like he knows his stuff, and he is pretty local too. I commented on the post but he hasn't responded yet. I am wondering if he is still dealing with his sickness issues.

I still really like the look of the Spyders from Wicked. I wish he had a host that looked as good as they do. Maybe I will purchase the 750mW Inferno from Wicked and order my blue from him. I don't want to carry around a big mag-light sized host.

Actually the NDB7A75 is $220. Although I personally would strongly suggest starting with a "weaker", more eye-safe laser. Not only is it safer but you can use it without having to always have safety goggles on (when using it inside).

If I had the choice I would chose the 750mW inferno because..
From what I know, it has a corrective optics, witch you won't easily get elsewhere. (corrective optics change the infamous "line" from that diode to a cleaner "dot")
Second, you can get (445nm lasers) cheaper, more powerful with equal build quality or better from forum members (Or you could even build one yourself).

I totally understand what you are saying. I have a few smaller powered lasers at home and the green I have is pretty bright. I am very aware of the dangers and will treat it more carefully than I do my loaded firearms. I think I'm going to order the Inferno today. I just need to decide if 750mW will be a good wattage to start with or if I should try to get something higher.

I really want a high powered 445nm laser. If someone can make me a quality 3W+ in a ***y looking host, they might have a quick sale.

*EDIT* Wow! This site really filtered out the word S-E-X-Y?

welcome, i grew up near philly and big Flyers and 76ers fan here

Best Regards,
-Ave

Small world! I live right outside in the Delco area. Did you move far from Philly?

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: