Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from me!

Hey!

My name's Elly. I enjoy cycling, reading, and other things that are interesting.

I've owned various keychain pointers over the years, but it hasn't been until now that I've had the money to buy anything better than that.

I've spent the last few weeks lurking this forum while trying to decide what to buy. I've learned that laser glasses are a must, cheap greenies tend to emit a ton of IR, and the search function is everyone's best friend.

Glad to be here!

:wave:

Hi EllyEnthusiastic :wave:

A+ for gathering up important information. Give a shout anytime you need help or have a question where the answer eludes you :)

Welcome to the forum.

Hi EllyEnthusiastic :wave:

A+ for gathering up important information. Give a shout anytime you need help or have a question where the answer eludes you :)

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

I actually do have a question. Are you familiar with this laser from O-Like? I know O-Like used to be good and are now considered less so, but the deal on that pointer has me curious and wary. Its spec sheet is pretty lacking, it's very cheap for a 1W (never mind a waterproof 1W), and it comes with a charger and battery (which, in my short experience, only cheap lasers seem to bundle). What are your thoughts on it?

My other option is a mirror finish 501B from scifi, and while I know it'll certainly be much better quality and the warranty on it is amazing, it is quite a bit more expensive than the O-Like, especially when you consider the extra $20 or so a good charger and batteries cost.

I know the scifi laser is undoubtedly the better option, but I'm a student on a budget-- yet I still want a 1W laser.

Last edited:
It is a mixed bag with both of those lasers. It pretty much boils down to personal preference. Do realize that it will take a bit of time to ship to you.
Have you considered building your own? There are members here that can suggest exactly what to get to build yourself a 1W laser. 445nm correct?

It is a mixed bag with both of those lasers. It pretty much boils down to personal preference. Do realize that it will take a bit of time to ship to you.
Have you considered building your own? There are members here that can suggest exactly what to get to build yourself a 1W laser. 445nm correct?

Oh? I thought scifi was highly regarded. Is that not the case, or do I misunderstand you?

I've thought about building my own, but honestly, I'm afraid I'll break something! I know the process is pretty simple, but my experience with soldering is very minimal. In fact, if I build my own, I might need to buy a new iron. My old one never worked very well.

I am interested in a 445nm diode, as it seems they tend to be cheaper than similar power diodes of different wavelengths.

What do you suggest, or is this better taken to a brand new thread?

If you are mainly going for power. 445nm is about the very best bang for your buck.
I have not dealt directly with scifi or o-like so I have to go with what I see here on the forum. There seems to be a fair amount of complaints about poor/slow communication and slow shipping at times. Ultimately you will end up with a great laser. Just every now and then there are some bumps in the road.

If you are mainly going for power. 445nm is about the very best bang for your buck.
I have not dealt directly with scifi or o-like so I have to go with what I see here on the forum. There seems to be a fair amount of complaints about poor/slow communication and slow shipping at times. Ultimately you will end up with a great laser. Just every now and then there are some bumps in the road.

I've seen a few threads about that in my searches. I was thinking of buying something but I'm too nervous too now :eek:
By the by welcome elly. Are you old enough to handle that high of a power? Remember that these aren't like those little keychain lasers. You're basically going to be handling a weapon so make sure you can handle it as even with eye protection things can go wrong.

Last edited:

Ricker

I have ordered from SciFi three times now and had great service every time, and everything they sell you has a 6 month warranty. Which is worth its weight in gold in electronics. But that's just my personal experience with them. :)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck! Don't let anyone sell anything to you that's old/outdated/AND the same price as it was many years ago. Basically, a second opinion never hurts! Have fun! :D

Ricker

FANTASTIC!! Now I can get that Ferrari 250 GTO for only $2500 and not $64,000,000
1962 Ferrari 250 GTO for sale in Germany at $64 million [UPDATE]

Plus the SS Nova I have had my eye on for $2100 and not $34,800
https://www.carsforsale.com/1969-chevrolet-nova-for-sale-C1057508

Cool!!!

Lol, what? I didn't say you would fall for scammers, I was talking to the OP. Sorry if I offended you by thinking I was talking to you, obviously you know the difference by now, Elly doesn't. Even if I was talking to you, a simple "thanks" for the advice would suffice, not sure what I did to deserve your condescending and sarcastic remarks, I've been nothing but nice to you. I'll assume you're just having a bad day, and that's okay, I hope you feel better! :)

Elly, I love how you've researched this forum a little bit and know what you know. You'll get along on here great! :)

I have ordered from SciFi three times now and had great service every time, and everything they sell you has a 6 month warranty. Which is worth its weight in gold in electronics. But that's just my personal experience with them. :)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck! Don't let anyone sell anything to you that's old/outdated/AND the same price as it was many years ago. Basically, a second opinion never hurts! Have fun! :D

I have definitely found that warranty enticing! I'll likely pony up and go for one of his lasers. Better to buy quality once than trash twice.

GSS

Wow Elly you sure did learn alot about lasers in the few weeks you have been lurking. I like your avatar by the way Its just like another member and they had the exact same interests. So before you buy just try to do some more research and I hope you stay and learn and listen to the vets advice no matter how repetitive on safety they can be. Welcome.

Last edited:
Wow Elly you sure did learn alot about lasers in the few weeks you have been lurking. I like your avatar by the way Its just like another member that was banned not to long ago and they had the exact same interests. So before you buy just try to do some more research and I hope you stay and learn and listen to the vets advice;)

That's what I hear. Dunno what I can say to convince you I'm genuinely a new user, but I hope in time that becomes evident.

Bug an admin to check my IP, they'll see it doesn't belong to a VPN, and it's probably pretty far away from wherever your problematic user came from.