Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello everyone!

Hello everybody, just through I'd make an account and introduce myself, and attempt to contribute since I've been reading your boards here for awhile now.

I'm 22 and from Canada, I trade on the stock market for a living. I used to be a welder, and I occasionally work installing and building kitchens.

I've only ever really played around with little laser pens you can usually find at your local dollar store. But I have a fairly good understanding of how they work and what they are capable of doing. They have always intrigued me, and I think they have potential for use in a lot of other applications.

I plan on building a laser in the near future, too see how it goes. And I'm hoping to come up with some cool experiments and to learn some more about lasers.
I'm more here for the scientific side of them, but I do have to admit they are pretty cool looking. :)

norbyx

Welcome to the forums. I know that you will find a lot of usefull information to make your laser. Be sure to read the stickies and to use the search before you ask. Be safe and if you plan in making a powerfull laser start by buying some safety goggles.

Welcome, Overture... have fun here. There is a lot of info if you dig around and when you can't find your answer in a search, the knowledge base represented by adept laserers here is amazing. Cheers!

welcome.gif
to the Forum Overture....

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Sig so that
we know where you are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

IsaacT

Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions you can't find the answer to, don't be afraid to ask. We don't bite....most of us atleast.

Cheers,
Isaac

Let us know a little more of your skills such as electronics and the basics like soldering and knowing how to use a DMM(digital multimeter). Some don't know how. We don't hold it against you as long as your willing to learn. As for the welding skills you'll have to turn down the juice and the wire feed to make good connections on the circuit board.:crackup:
Later, Paul

Last edited:

IsaacT

Yeah don't worry! I have been here like 3 years and I just barely know how to use a couple settings on my multimeter. So even if you don't know it all you will be okay :p

Haha to some of those above, I am fairly good with a multimeter, I've done arc welding as well, and we were always having to check our voltages, currents, and resistance. I haven't done a ton of soldering. (I actually think I suck at it despite having steady hands) But I've done a bit changing pick ups in my electric guitar (have yet to do amp mods)

But in the case of lasers, I'm more eager to try and build a gas laser.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Check out SAM's Laser FAQ. It won't be an easy endeavor but I think I recall some tips on there. Try to keep an eye out for a glass blowing place if you really want to completely DIY. If you want to simply piece parts together then check out ebay and Meredith instruments.

Hope that helps,
Isaac