Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello Everyone!

Hello all, I'm new here and figured I should introduce myself a bit.

My name is Matt, but I've gone by the name Sigurthr (or Sig for short) for more than a decade now. I'm a "retired" TIG/MIG welder and metal fabricator. I suffered a severe wrist injury which forced me into "retirement" at an early age. I'm currently self-training in electronics hoping to change careers one day. I'm also an Amateur (Ham) Radio operator - W8SIG Extra Class Licensee, and a classically trained Flutist and Ocarinist. I maintained and repaired Radiation detection equipment as a side job for a while, and have become rather experienced in detecting and handling radioactive materials.

I'm not new to lasers but very out of touch. My first laser was a 0.7mW 670nm diode I got back in 1992 and I remember it cost me around $75 for the diode alone. I got an old half-dead HeNe tube shortly after that and built the HV driver for it out of an old neon sign PSU that was also half-dead. Lasers were just too expensive back then.

In the mid 2000's I discovered the Chinese Laser market, and ordered from WL (with terrible results) but at the time, the prices seemed superb to me. I picked up one of their first "Nexus" greenies @ ~95mW which soon went underspec after maybe an hour of use. I don't have a LPM but I would guess it puts out about 50mW these days. I also picked up two 5mW COREs at their initial inexpensive price. One had a misalignment with the KTP crystal, so I converted it to an 808nm burner. I overdrove it and got my money's worth out of it before it died after about 100hrs. There was a lot of back reflection as well since I had to use a collimation lens not meant for IR. After the bad service and quality I received I decided I would not order from China again until quality increased or prices dropped, substantially.

Fast forward a few years and in 2010 I picked up a 10mW 405nm pointer off of Amazon for I think only $20. I kept lasers on the back burner so to speak until just a few weeks ago when a Radiation Detection colleague referred me to Laserlands.net. Upon seeing their amazing prices and hearing of my colleague's good service from them, I decided it was time to start having fun with lasers again - especially since there is a new wavelength available (450nm)!

I received my first new laser from laserlands.net today, and I am quite pleased with both the laser and the quality of service I was provided with. I plan to write a review on it shortly. I am working on a hybrid laser/ham project and have ordered everything (and more, haha!) needed for it from laserlands.net. The "and more" part includes a few xmas toys for myself...

-Sig W8SIG

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here and very informed members. I'm new here myself and learned quite a bit just reading the forum threads.

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

33 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! Aye, I'm well versed in laser safety, and eye safety in general. I've done enough damage to my eyes over the years from welding, I don't plan on losing/degrading my sight from my hobby! (Thankfully I still have 20/20 vision).

I just got my first 450nm laser in today, and I can say without a doubt it is my favorite wavelength so far. I plan on saving for a 1.2W Laserer Rifle next.