Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello! and sell me ur lazr plz

Hi everybody! Complete newb here, looking to add one more hobby to my already overstressed budget. Recently, I took a hike up a local mountain at night with some friends. While at the top, a friend of one of those friends pointed his green, then purple laser pointers at us from his house, 2 miles away, beam visible the whole way. That did it for me - I must have one. BUT, I really can't figure out what the difference between 532nm, 1W, 5mw and other such terms mean, and honestly, I'm too lazy to bother reading enough to find out. I'm more used to things measured by only one type of energy. I'm not a hardcore hobbyist, just a consumerist tool. So, without further ado, here is what I am looking for - surely someone here will have one?

Do you have a cool toy you're just plain done with? I'm looking for a handheld laser pointer that is powerful enough that I can see it on something 1000+ feet away, but not necessarily able to burn holes in plywood (although that would be cool), used, and around.... $50? Like I said, I am completely ignorant, so if $50 isn't enough to get a good unit, I can go up. It just has to be used My color preference is blue, green, then purple. Not a fan of red.

BTW, I think it's pretty rad that I found this forum of knowledgeable people regarding a topic I previously thought would be near impossible to find info on. Thanks!

Ah, and I am in S. Oregon.

My apologies for the crappy post. I have read more on the subject. I should have read some stickys first. Still more to find out.

Biffy,

I think it's good that you took another look at things... To understand -- A lot of people put a lot of work here into their research, builds, learning, and stuff like that.

Because of that, I think folks may be a little bit put off if someone won't at least meet them halfway. So yeah, there are people who would likely do laser builds for you here.

But wouldn't it be better if you knew a little bit, at least, of what was going into it, and what was going on? You don't have to become some kind of photonics and electronics expert to hang out here. At all. But the basic terminology - you know, when I got here I had NO idea what a "SOC" or "LOC" or "LCC" or "PHR" was... Took me a lot of time to wrap my head around that.

But now that I know, well, I've met folks in the real world from here on LPF and it's meant a lot... Really changed some stuff in a good way for me. So, give it a chance...

I'll throw you a bit to start... Some of the simple terminology to start -- mW = milliwatts. That's a measurement of power. nm, however, is nanometers. That's a measurement of wavelength; wavelength determines color.

So, you can have 1mW 532nm -- that'd be a very low powered (1mW) green laser (532nm = green).

Or you could have a 50mW 405nm -- 'medium' powered, violet/purple. (405nm = violet.)

Now, between violet and green on the spectrum, is blue. Therefore it should stand to reason: Blue comes in 445nm (dark blue) and 473nm (light blue, more of a cyan.)

If you want to get an idea of how "nm" (wavelength) works, take a look at my signature. :)

A common laser setup around here is 445nm 1000mW, or in other words, 445nm "blue", "1 watt". (1000mW = 1 W).

So, there's at least enough to get you started. From there though, just read stuff! When I first got here I just spent all night clicking on stuff to see what's out there. And there was more than I thought. :) I really thought I was just 'stopping by' but I sure was wrong ... Here I am a few years later!

Thanks, Rocket. I think some folks just need a bit of a jumpstart. I remember how overwhelmed I was when I first got here - though I did want to find out more. My first post ever was about my mode-hopping Aquarius. People were really helpful, thankfully. I was kind of noobish in that post myself. :)

I agree. There is a lot of info that can overwhelm you very quickly.
I felt the same way at first, as well.
As you learn, it all gets easier to understand.
Read around and stay a while, Biffy! It's quite a fun and satisfying hobby. ;)

My apologies for the crappy post. I have read more on the subject. I should have read some stickys first. Still more to find out.

There you go. Now you are on the right track. Please understand that while I was being a bit of an ass with my earlier post, most people here are more then willing to help you out, myself included if you at least try to look up the information first, at least the basics.

The stickies are a great place to start. This one is appropriate since you are wanting to purchase your first high powered laser:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/6-steps-prevent-you-getting-scammed-63634.html

You also might want to stop by the welcome section and introduce yourself.

@aryntha
I would send some +rep your way, but the system won't let me, for that very helpful post.

I agree. There is a lot of info that can overwhelm you very quickly.
I felt the same way at first, as well.
As you learn, it all gets easier to understand.
Read around and stay a while, Biffy! It's quite a fun and satisfying hobby. ;)

Good posts by all..
Especially Matt--+2 for that effort.

besides the stickies and tuts here,,,check out the massive free laser encyclopedia SAM'SLaser FAQ-- check out the gas lasers and you will want to own one, For lots on lasershow projectors see PL(Ph0t0nlexicon)).

To get blown away with lasershows try to attend a LEM(laser Enthuasists Meet)

BUT I see you have not added your general location to your profile- to get better help you really need to do that and ALSO start a intro thread in the welcome section-read what others have post there for a good idea about that thread. ...Hak

Last edited:

mfo

Hi Biffy!

I happen to own a high powered yellow laser. It puts about about 10 Watts of power. Here's a picture of it in action.

crystalfibrefig1.jpg

In this pic, I pointed it at the moon to get a picture of the beam. Unfortunately, I left the laser on for too long while I walked back to take the picture and I set the moon on fire! LOL!

Anyhow, I'm willing to sell this, it's too much power for me. Now your friends will be envious with their cheap 2 mile range lasers. You'll be the talk of the town when your friends can see your laser from the moon!

Also, local pickup only, no shipping. This unit weights a few tons and the shipping fees would be through the roof.

LaZeRz

LOL!!! That is one of the funniest trolls i've seen!

+

Last edited:
Hi Biffy!
Anyhow, I'm willing to sell this, it's too much power for me. Now your friends will be envious with their cheap 2 mile range lasers. You'll be the talk of the town when your friends can see your laser from the moon!

Also, local pickup only, no shipping. This unit weights a few tons and the shipping fees would be through the roof.

:drool: On my way with a U-Haul. Let's see, NYC ought to take me around 2 days to get there. Where am I picking it up? :p