Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsinks for Driver?

oic0

Am wanting to do a bit of heatsinking on a flexdrive. I don't have it in hand but am wanting to go ahead and order them. (wasnt sure what forum section to put this in).
Has anyone experimented with putting pwm / mosfett sinks on these? I'm sure most will have too much height but thats nothing some a dremel cant fix. The other option I was considering was using a non electrically conductive thermal grease and slathering it on thick enough for the flexdrive to conduct in to the body / pill. Bad idea?

ez-1007-1.jpg
Enzotech MOS-C10 Forged Copper MOSFET Heatsinks - Koolertek

sidewindercomputers_2112_41018377

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/enmofocomohe.html

Asherz

Don't think it's really needed is it? I can't imagine the heatsinks you listed there would fit inside the back of a heatsink or aixiz module.

I guess you could fill the back end with non conductive paste, can't imagine it being particularly pleasant though, and a pain to get rid of if you want to replace the diode.

You could try that thermally conductive tape like stuff...boy that's a helpful description...it's nonconductive and bobhaha used some in his 18650 build to heatsink his flexdrive, it's grey and about 2mm thick, best I can describe it.

oic0

Thermal pads like OEMs use to sink memory on video cards? I hadn't thought of that. On computer parts I usually trash it because the thermal conductivity sucks, but in this application it would probably be enough. Which side of it to cool though since I can only cool one that way?

*Edit* this stuff might work http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwathpadmo.html 90mm x 14mm x 1mm

Last edited:
Hey guys-do you think thermal gluing is necessary on a microboost at 1.2A? I'm tempted to turn up the power but don't want to ruin the driver :undecided:

I was planning something similar for my host since there is plenty of room, but it seems the driver should be fine unless you are doing something wrong :D

too much thermal paste can be as bad as not using any at all. you only need a very thin layer between the two surfaces to help conduct the heat away.

So I can run a microboost at 1.2A with no heatsinking? I'm confused lol... I'm not sure who those posts were directed at.

Yes, like proto said, I used a thermal conductive / electrical insulating material used for transistor isolation / thermal conduction purposes. It is sticky on both sides and unlike a TEC, it can conduct on either surface. The one I got was approx 20cm by 20cm by 2mm thick. I got 5 sheets in a pack for $10 at jaycar.

I placed two small sheets of it over the p4 emitter (see hack / mod in my sig) to act as a small heat sink, then placed another sheet (not shown in the picture) over the driver, to isolate it electrically and conduct heat from the top of the driver. It has been running my 445nm diode at >1A... and I haven't run into any problems yet.

23062010004o.jpg

Last edited:

oic0

I ended up going with a thermal pad made to go under the large heatsinks on modern GPUs to cover their mosfetts and memory chips. 1mm thick I believe. Ordered it a few days ago. Couldnt really find a good price on them though, think I ended up paying about 4 dollars for just one little pad. I feel very ripped off but oh well.

I ended up going with a thermal pad made to go under the large heatsinks on modern GPUs to cover their mosfetts and memory chips. 1mm thick I believe. Ordered it a few days ago. Couldnt really find a good price on them though, think I ended up paying about 4 dollars for just one little pad. I feel very ripped off but oh well.
where did you buy it? Now I feel bad turning the laser on without HSing the driver :(

Alright, I'll look. Thanks!

Edit: I moved the driver (like a pro) and I should be able to heatsink it with some of that thermal layer stuff. Fun!

Last edited:
Yes, like proto said, I used a thermal conductive / electrical insulating material used for transistor isolation / thermal conduction purposes. It is sticky on both sides and unlike a TEC, it can conduct on either surface. The one I got was approx 20cm by 20cm by 2mm thick. I got 5 sheets in a pack for $10 at jaycar.

I placed two small sheets of it over the p4 emitter (see hack / mod in my sig) to act as a small heat sink, then placed another sheet (not shown in the picture) over the driver, to isolate it electrically and conduct heat from the top of the driver. It has been running my 445nm diode at >1A... and I haven't run into any problems yet.

23062010004o.jpg

Can you give a link? The closest thing I could find is this: Thermal Transfer Tape 100x100x0.5mm Pk 2 - Jaycar Electronics

Hmm.... I'll look around town tomorrow, perhaps some computer store has some of this.