Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink ?'s Will this Work or Not??

J

jenner6989

so i bought a aluminium heatsink and i was wondering if the thermal compound that i also bought would work ok and how far back in the heatsink should i set the axiz housing? i would like to be able to get to the diode and be able to unscrew the head. Or do i need to set it all the way into the heatsink? thnx.
192e300f.jpg
a7ebc805.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p33/jwakeboarder69/678c65cb.jpg

Last edited:

Any kind of thermal compound will work, use sparingly. I'd leave enough of the module exposed at the end that you can adjust focus without difficulty.

J

jenner6989

Thnx. but should i press the aixiz module all the way in just leaving enough to adjust the lense or is it ok like it shows in the pic?

jayrob

But if you want it to work best, you would want the thick 'business end' of the module to be making the contact with your heatsink. This is where the diode is pressed into.

You really do not need the back 'barrel' part of the AixiZ module when you have a nice heatsink...

J

jenner6989

if i have it in backwards than how would u adjust the lense? if im wrong than im wrong. everybody screws up once and a while. but i dont think im wrong.

J

jenner6989

thnx Jayrob. maybe ill press it in just enough so i can get a grip in the aixiz housing if i need to pull it out in the future. i can at least get it down to where the diode is pressed in the head. what do you think?? thnx alot!

Jaseth

I think he means that the axiz should go in the finned end of the heatsink, not the smooth end. The fins of a heatsink are usually at the end of the laser.
I would personally press it in as far as possible with just enough sticking out to adjust focus easily, like EF said. If you want access to a specific part of the axiz (I don't know why you would want that, but I guess that's your choice), then obviously leave that part exposed.

Seb

Last edited:
J

jenner6989

ill post a couple more pics of the heatsink. i just dont see a way of adjusting the lense if i press it in the way u are explaining. i see what u are saying and it deff. makes sense. give me a minute to post some more pics.

jayrob

I like to mount the 'business end' of the AixiZ module flush with the front of the heatsink, which is the finned end of your heatsink. That's the front, as was mentioned.

Then, if you have an AixiZ focus ring to put on the lens, you can still focus it. Even if the module is flush with the heatsink face...

Pocket%20mini%2022.jpg

I use a set screw to position the module with most of my heatsinks, but if yours is a 'press fit', you can always press it back out with a metal rod if you ever need to. (if the diode is dead, it wont matter if you press it out like that)

Edit: Oh... I thought the center hole was the same I.D. all the way through.

Last edited:
J

jenner6989

so here are three more pics. the finned end of the heat sink is solid. just a set screw. and a hole. Let me know what you guys think? i was gonna set it in there with some thermal paste.
f501ac6f.jpg

f71f4fd7.jpg

15f3bac9.jpg

192e300f.jpg

jayrob

It looks like the set screw is for the business end of the module...

If you take the back 'barrel' part of the module off, will the module slide into place, so that you can use the set screw to secure it?

If so, then it looks like you must get your lens focused first, and then install it into the heatsink. The small exit aperture is the front.

Just guessing...

J

jenner6989

well thats bullshit. i would like to adjust the lense. wouldnt it still work ok if i hade it flipped around like it is in the picture? with some thermal paste?

Gata

I think that heatsink was made for green modules that aren't made to focus.