Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink for PS3 405nm diodes?

iewed

Would a heat sink be needed for a PS3 405nm diode? Since it's only about 16mW, I don't think it can get too hot, but would it really make a difference if it had a heat sink or not (besides size)?

iewed

Can anyone tell me how much heat a PS3 diode generates? Would a plastic housing be ok?

not much heat as I understand it... they're <15mw.

normally you'd want to mount this in something like an aixis module to provide culminating and focusing optics... which would have the side effect of providing more than enough heatsinking to drive a blueray at continuous duty.

I'm sorta guessing here, but I think the can by itself should provide enough of a sink to drive it for a few minutes at a time without it overheating...

Mine is in an aixis housing and mounted in a plastic box and I've never even felt the slightest bit of warmth

drlava

Hey, guys, the laser diode disspiates power calcualted by the formula: P (Watts) = Id (Amps through diode) * Vd (Volts across diode) - Po (Light power output)

If you're running at 38mA, 10mW:

0.038 * 4.8 - 0.01 = 0.172W

Compared to an open can:

0.38 * 3.05 - .26 = .9W

yes they run much cooler, however the diodes are more sensitive to heat. If it is in an aixiz module and this is installed in a plastic housing, it should be fine for non-continuous use.