Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink/Collimator for 5W C-mount

sbdwag

Just finished up the machining of the Heatsink/Collimator for my soon to be operational 5W 808nm Labby.

Here are some photos and a picture of the design If anyone is interested I can supply them with Solidworks and or dxf's of the design.

Im using a Aixiz glass lens assembly to focus and then I will have an external cylinder lens added for the fast axis. I read somewhere that someone else was using a Aixiz module for a High wattage laser and they said it got hot. Im hopeing that the copper mount with dissapate some of this warmth. A pelter could easily be added to the back of this unit.

Another thing. It is a bitch hand tapping 2-56 in copper :banghead:

Another thing it will be very easy to place electical tap around the sides of the unit thus completely sealing out dust from the emitter.

cmount5.jpg

cmount4.jpg

cmount6.jpg

cmount8.jpg

Regards
sbdwag

Last edited:

I must say your very skilled , how much would a complete build cost if you were to sell it?

sbdwag

My problem is I built this at work on my lunch hour and after work. Im a designer by trade but worked in Tool and die for many years. I really do not have access to the equipment to do anything for other than myself.

But If you were to submit this design to someone to build it. I would estimate about 30 dollars in material and about 2 hours to machine. At the going rate of $65/hour that would put it at about $190 US.

Regards
sbdwag

In that case I would definitely be interested in your drawings

thank you very much

could this design be modified to accomodate a 9mm diode?

sbdwag

It could be. But it would be much cheaper to buy a Meredith Module for 45 bucks and Buy you a piece of copper and drill or ream a 1/2 hole in it for the module. You could use aluminum too.

regards
sbdwag

ReNNo

It could be. But it would be much cheaper to buy a Meredith Module for 45 bucks and Buy you a piece of copper and drill or ream a 1/2 hole in it for the module. You could use aluminum too.

regards
sbdwag

There is much cheaper way.
You can buy 9mm diode module from Rayfoss.
Here it is : Rayfoss

Just $12.

sbdwag...you did great job.
There is a lot of space to dissipate heat.

ReNNo

I've just ordered this module.
Soon as I get this, I'll make review.

HIMNL9

Good shape, i think is easy to fit a cpu cooler complete with fan, or a TEC, on the back, if needed (just need to add a lateral hole for make out the wire for the diode, probably, for the TEC)

Another thing. It is a bitch hand tapping 2-56 in copper :banghead:

As far as i remember, is a damn pain you-know-where to do it with any thread size, in copper :p :D

Just as suggestion, the FAC lens in the normal use go before the focusing lens, not after, and for keep the focusing lens not moving, you can put a thin spring outside it (i mean, large enough for stay outside the lens holder, but not for go out from the focusing ring, like this one
attachment.php

Attachments

• spring01.jpg
    spring01.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,441
Wow, that one nice mount. Plenty of mass and a very clever design to hold the lens.

Hey sbdwag...

Stop it.....:tsk:

Every time I turn around you seem impress us with another tidbit of your
abilities....;)

Jerry

5watts doesnt need to be heat sinked, it needs to be cooled. tec style otherwise it wont last long

Depending on the size of the chunk of metal it's mounted to and the ambient temperature, a 5W can go without a TEC, but it's not recommended. I agree with Andy.. you should throw that block on a TEC..

Krutz

impressive and clever work, congrats! you will have lots of fun with that laser, i bet! :)
share with us, at least the pics!

manuel