Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heat Sinking of a Various Modules

awlego

Plan: Put a 90mW green module in a small metal flashlight host.

Past experience: In a previous build with a 25mW green, I used washers that aren't a perfect fit, but are close enough to keep the module from moving with the help of a touch of super glue. They work fine and the laser never heats up at all. It can be run for hours.

Question: How will 90mW of green compare? How about 125mW blu-ray?
Will washers do the trick? If not washers alone, can I get away with a thermal glue and washers?

Thanks

-Awlego

90mw of green could be using 1w of 808 + electrical losses.
125mw of violet uses a lot less power as its a direct output not dpss.

My aixiz green labby outputs 100mw of green at 450ma@2.8v

Last edited:
awlego go to ebay and type in aluminum bar
and order it by distance, i found a local metal shop and bought 1.5x by 11x aluminum square stock for 4.10$ (shipping alone would have been 8.50$, spent about 4.00$ in gas)
And with that i can make 7 heat sinks.
that's 1.16$ per heat sink with a size of 1.5x square.
Cheapest way and great cooling. much better than washers and cheaper.
if you have a home depot get some aluminum flat bars or angle and just cut them to the size you need and drill holes threw them all and make aluminum washers they will work better than steel.

Last edited:

awlego

Good idea, only problem is I don't have a drill bit close enough to the size I need. I've tried using a dremel to make it closer, but it never get's close enough :/

A violet diode running at 125mW will not produce much heat. Washers will be good enough.
A 90mW green module will use a 0.5W pump diode running at 400-600mA Outputting 400-500mW. This will produce enough heat to make the module warm within 30-45 seconds, but there is no danger in using a small pen type host with minimal heat-sinking capabilities. Washers should work ok. Edit: some thermal glue would help, but it wouldn't make too much of a difference. If you can find some brass material to work with, it would be better than steel washers.

If you are looking for some good heat-sinking, contact flaminpyro.
He does top notch machine work and can make you the perfect heat-sink for any host/module. He can machine aluminum, brass, and copper at your request.
I can tell you first hand that every heat-sink I purchased from flaminpyro turned out perfect! His prices are very good also, especially for the quality of his work.

Last edited:
You dont need for say a 12mm drill bit but it helps.
You can use a 1/2in bit then make a cut on the top of the heat sink and use a bolt to pull the metal together thus making the hole smaller.
the bolt goes near the top to close the gap up the 0.027559055 needed to make it a 12mm hole. now it does not make a perfect circle but it does make a very close one so use some thermal paste and this works great!
======|.|======
======|.|======
======|.|======
=====/.....\=====
=====\...../=====
==============
==============
This is also good for people who do not like to press fit things just slide in and tighten the bolt on top and it brings it together.
Also a good tip for making this is to heat it up in a oven as hot as you can get. get gloves on and then bring it to your drill. Also try to keep the bit cool by getting some mineral oil and wax on hand, make sure the oil is chilled but not frozen. you are trying to keep the bit cool and the materiel warm. when the metal cools it will shrink a bit making it even closer to 12mm.
OR
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Steel-J...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272499264&sr=1-1
OR
a 31/64 drill bit it comes to about 0.484375
a 12mm bit in inches is 0.472440945 in
That's about 0.011934055.
This is a small amount and with the above info can be very quickly closed
or use a 15/32 and that is 0.46875 in
This will give you a hole that is 0.003690945 to small so when you make the cut on top this will stretch it out and slide in the module. no bolts needed.
This is tons better than bolt two plates of aluminum one on top and bottom.

Last edited:
Kiyoukan, I don't think I need to point out what I think that picture looks like...but...*cough* what was it supposed to look like? I'm not trying to be an ass...I just don't quite get it.

A hole is drilled through the block and then a slot is cut to connect the hole to any one
of the sides. A bolt is then threaded through a hole drilled in the block running
perpindicular to the "laser's cavity" where the slot was cut through, this way when the
the bolt is tightened it will draw the open slot closed and make the laser cavity's hole
smaller, clamping down on the module.

i am installing inventor 2011 as we speak and will put up a 3d version of that drawing.

^ pictures speak a thousand words, or something of that nature

Okay so here it is.
I made and planned this in autodesk inventor pro 2011
I can send you the file if any one wants to see it or if you have a sketch i can render things for you. (sketch must be at least 3 views.)
heatsink.jpg

This can all be done with a drill and a hacksaw.
You can thread the hole with a tap set but you don't have too you can just use a screw and bolt.
This is a very easy thing to make you need no special equipment and can accommodate many sizes, can be stretched open to fit larger sizes or tightened to fit smaller.
animation is rendering atm my cpu is back up to 6.07 ghz for the moment and my god is it still taking way to long... 116-451....
kiyoukan

Part1.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting 1.5 in of aluminum is a B!tch, you know i said you could do it with a hack saw, but god you will get one a hour. i wound up cutting what i could with my dremmel on some of them. then finishing off with the hack saw you can do it but you arm might be a tad bit sore. make sure to keep wax and mineral oil on the blade and it cuts better.

okay so i got one done with no special tools only used hack saw, hand drill, and a vice.
But i am going to build the rest at a machine shop so yeah it can be done, but if you can get access to a drill press and a band saw you should, it is very worth it.
hestsinktop2.jpg

hestsinktop.jpg

hestsinkfront.jpg

hestsinkback.jpg