Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heat sink questions..

In the videos about extracting a diode out of a DVD burner.. when it first comes out there is a heat sink around it.. They remove that.. WHY?

Fiddy

so you can put it into a module with a lens that's easily focus-able.

sinner

The diode is extracted because in order to run it in an external system (host or project box) you will need a lens assembly for collimating the output and also provide better heatsinking to the diode via installing (pressing the diode) in the Aixiz Module..

Aixiz module or A Laser diode housing/mount is the Key to DIY lasers. Without a suitable module for each individual size of your diode (i.e: 5.6mm 3.8mm and 9mm Diode) There is not much you can do to adjust a focusable lens..

axiz-module.jpg

If I remember Blord and I suggested you do a little reading in your first post. Looks like you havent done much.:whistle: Each of your threads has asked questions answered in the links we gave you.:tsk:

Also, it would be better to post all your questions in one thread, instead of opening new one for each individual question.

Hint: Take a look at the size of the heatsink in the DVD burner.

What happens if i run the laser with out a aixiz module.. and with out lens.. 'd the power be different??

Without the module and heatsink it would burn out in a couple seconds and without a lens it would not make a small dot.

And what happens if i can't get my hands on a aixiz module?? any other thing i can use? also were can i get that thing..

Sorry lazy to do lots of reading

If you cant get a module you will need a direct press heatsink. If you can't get either hopefully you have very good machining skills otherwise you cant make a laser. Go read a few detailed build threads for examples on what is needed and why.

Come on now guys stop rewarding someone with responses when they even openly admit they are too lazy to search and read on their own.

That is my last spoon full of information for this guy if he doesn't do some of his own research. At least he has some info to go on so it wont be difficult to start. I don't mind helping out and giving information to start people off but I wont give out unlimited amounts of spoon fed information.

Come on now guys stop rewarding someone with responses when they even openly admit they are too lazy to search and read on their own.

I was asking for answers not your opinion. Please keep that for your self.. and feel free to send me that in a private message not in a thread about heat sinking -_-

Also.. guys can i use a Aluminium block.. Drill a hole the size of the diode in it.
Put the lens inside the hole and the diode too.. Just while i wait for the aixiz module to ship.

Sorry Grim, but people are entitled to their opinions. If you post and demonstrate that you are too lazy to do any reading, especially on a forum where its been clearly stated that noobs wont be spoon fed, what do you expect? Frankly Im surprised it took this long...

btw stating in a PM "what can I do Im lazy" is just asking for trouble; your little red square is well deserved.:tsk:

Last edited: