Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heat sink question

8 ball

Just a quick question on the building of lasers, i was just wondering, when you attach the heat sink to the driver do you use any type of thermal paste. If not, would this be a good idea to help keep the laser run cooler for a longer time?
Cheers Sam

Use common sense, if you dont attach something to the other thing it will fall off.

8 ball

Use common sense, if you dont attach something to the other thing it will fall off.
I am well aware of this law of physics :) I just wondered if people use thermal paste or just have the 2 components touching with no paste.

Normally people heatsink drivers at high currents. This doesnt necessarily mean they are attached to the heatsink, but that they are glued to a chunk of metal (Cu or Al) which helps to dissipate the heat. The most common glues are Arctic alumina or Arctic silver. :beer:

Look at "hot option" from Jayrob or DTR in their build tutorials to find out more.

Edit: here are 2 examples from 2 of my builds. The Saik has the driver heatsinked to some copper and aluminium strips and then to the heatsink. In the second picture of a phobos host the driver was heatsinked to a piece of copper and then to the body of the host, not main heatsink. In both cases Arctic Silver was used.

Attachments

• 1205_saik-build_043.jpg
    1205_saik-build_043.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1205_Laser Stu_026.jpg
    1205_Laser Stu_026.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I've heard of people doing both. Either tightly press fitting the diode into a sink, or if the fit is less tight adding some thermal adhesive. It can go either way.

8 ball

Thanks everyone this has helped me, I think I will use some paste just to be on the safe side :)