Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

he-ne

I just bought a he-ne from heruursciences.Got it all powered up and its nice :cool:.Half the the tube is visible and i got shocked a few times from the 1400volt red wire.I'm using a lighted switch but for some reason it doesn't light.Not sure how to make it light.Pics to come

is it regular for it to be pulsed?If i move fast on the wall it makes dashes like this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

helium neon lasers shouldn't be pulsed when running, either you need more voltage or the tube isn't working/hooked up properly

daguin

jamilm9 said:
it is getting 5.15 volts at 1 amp.

In the first post you said you were shocked by 1400 volts Now you say it is getting 5.15 volts. :-?

Did you get a PSU with it? If so, what does it look like? If so how are you supplying power to the PSU?

Can you post a picture of the set-up?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=jamilm9 link=1222825980/0#3 date=1222915952]it is getting 5.15 volts at 1 amp.

In the first post you said you were shocked by 1400 volts Now you say it is getting 5.15 volts. :-?

Did you get a PSU with it? If so, what does it look like? If so how are you supplying power to the PSU?

Can you post a picture of the set-up?

Peace,
dave[/quote]
the psu is getting 5.15 volts.Using a zip drive power wall wart to power the psu.Its just a copper box.

daguin

jamilm9 said:
the psu is getting 5.15 volts.Using a zip drive power wall wart to power the psu.Its just a copper box.

You need to give the "copper box" 12 Volts DC with, at least 2A.  3A would be better.  Remember, it is using the amperage to make 12-14 KiloVolts.

And, yes . . . .It will bite you if you're not careful

Peace,
dave

heruursciences said:
It needs about 1.5A or so to power up, you have enough juice when you get it up and running coherently instead of buzzing. An adaptor from an old external zip drive works nicely.

Will get yellow hene pics up soon, probably later tonight, got a large order of violet modules in. Got to make 38 violet laser modules tonight... good fun... Hooray for another night of soldering till dawn...

::)

it looks that same as this.http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214857556/2
heruursciences`said it needs 5 volts

daguin

jamilm9 said:
[quote author=heruursciences link=1220291886/20#25 date=1221178472]It needs about 1.5A or so to power up, you have enough juice when you get it up and running coherently instead of buzzing. An adaptor from an old external zip drive works nicely.

Will get yellow hene pics up soon, probably later tonight, got a large order of violet modules in. Got to make 38 violet laser modules tonight... good fun...  Hooray for another night of soldering till dawn...

::)

it looks that same as this.http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214857556/2
heruursciences`said it needs 5 volts[/quote]

Hmmmmm . . . . All of my copper clad bricks like that are run with 12V.   :-?

Here it is, hooked up to my 12V -- 2Amp power supply, running a 2mW HeNe

1sthene.jpg

Peace,
dave

so i started raising the volts and it got bright but was still pulsed.Once i got around 9 volts it got weaker and the red in the tube started flickering.

your tube may have a low gas fill if the discharge is dropping out and restarting (the pulsing you've been seeing)

My copper box also needs 12v.  I give it 12v @ 900mA and it works great. I once tried running it off a 9v battery and it worked for about 5 seconds but then started 'pulsing' because the battery couldn't keep up.

Even when the gas pressure starts to raise on HeNes the tube still stays lit. You'll just get nothing but non coherent blue light out the end. Usually if it's a gas problem it will either  light up but not lase at all, or it wont work all together. So, if the pulses are still 'lasing' its a connection or power supply issue. Make sure the contacts on the tube are good and give it some more voltage.

Oh, also try it without the switch. I had a switch give me similar issues as well.

Yeah, it sounds like a gas fill problem.

GooeyGus said:
My copper box also needs 12v.  I give it 12v @ 900mA and it works great. I once tried running it off a 9v battery and it worked for about 5 seconds but then started 'pulsing' because the battery couldn't keep up.

try two or more in parallel. Even the tiny HeNe pointers I've seen take two 9V batteries.