Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HD DVD laser diode drive

I am new to the laser craze! I had a 5mw greenie that was a dpss laser, but it sucked. So i recently pulled a Violet diode from a fairly new and reliable HD DVD play. I want to make a reliable pointer out of it. From what i have been reading, these diodes are sensative to voltage spikes, I ordered a Lava2 Micro drive, but have yet to recieve it. Does anyone know if this was a good choice? I figured for the 30 bucks i don't really care. But i don't want to ruin my diode, and i want it to run at its full potential.

Sounds like your off to a good start.
What kind of HD DVD player is it? Any chance we could get some pictures or a video?

HD DVD players usually have a pretty powerful violet diode in them and pretty much all of them are capable of at least +100mW's. Voltage spikes don't hurt them AS MUCH as the long dead ps3 diodes.

Daguin has a pretty good tutorial on violets here --> http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219161671

Daguin pushed these things quite far and they have held up to 190ma's but some aren't able to go that high.

--hydro15

Thanks for the info!! It was a Toshiba. I will be posting pictures for sure, Possibly a video. I'm a machinest, So i am working on a sleek aluminum housing for it. Once the driver arrives i can finish that. I am also making my own housing for the diode and culminater. Should this project go well, I'll be eager to start something new!! I have always had a life long facination with lasers.

wow I'm learning alot here. I fear I'm in over my head though. Obviuosly I don't want to just connect my diode to the drive. What measures should I take first and how will I gauge my lasers MA and Mw?? I was going to use the lense out of a red pointer. Bad idea??

Yep, I opened a laser pointer (this was before I was a member) to see what kind of diode was in
there... There was no closed can diode of any kind. Just some weird chip thing. :-/ The axiz housing
will work as a heat bridge to keep the diode cool, keep in mind that you may want to heat sink the module in aluminum or something. ;) Those crappy pointer don't have very good optics and are probably bad at taking heat away from the diode. Just go with this--> http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=191
Be sure to press fit it in with a vice. ;) Like in styropyros video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVugSGldXZ8

Now about the ma/mW I think you should run it at 110ma's to give you a pretty good diode life. You need to set your multimeter to the Amps setting so it doesn't give you a false reading. ;)

--hydro15

so i hooked up a test power source to a HD DVD diode, And it was bright and intense for a few seconds, Then it went dim. It was a 4.5 Volt power source (3AAA Batteries). Did i fry it? Is it now a violet LED?? I just bought an xbox HD DVD. This one will be apart once i learn from all my mistakes. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes. NEVER HOOK A LASER DIODE RIGHT UP TO BATTERIES
I presume you haven't read the FAQ's yet?

i have, but i will be the first to admit that i got STUUUUPPPPIIIDDD and impatient. So she's little more then an LED now huh? This diode had a hard life, it was my first. I have the XBOX and a Lava drive coming. I also have a few pon shops who will call me when more Hd players arrive. CANNOT believe i did that!!! Thanks for confirming my worst fear though.

originalbigT said:
Im going to burrie it in the back yard now. Another diode dead from ignorance. Crap.
Same thing happened to me when I got my first PHR-803T diode. It happens.. But the good thing is that you can still use the diode as a "test" load, to set current for the real diode.
Oh, and don't forget to short the capacitor! Connect the positive and negative output of the driver before you attach a new laser diode after you remove the test load.

That's good atleast. I'm stocking up on HD players! Still bummed though. Time to rip apart the XBOX Hd player!

just extracted a brand new PHR 803T, Still in its original heat sink. This time it sits untouched 'till my lava2 micro drive arrives!!! Again, thanks to everyone who helped!!! This forum is LOADED with info!!! I'm in the middle of building a basement/bar and this laser project has proved to be far more complicated!!!