Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

has anyone used this before

Tmack

You would need an extended heatsink to be able to fit a module in there. But yeah it's doable. The trickery part is making everything fit in the short body. The width is good. I have a similar looking host the Cree B68 . It has a 100mw 532 module in it, but it looks like it is a fair bit longer than this one. If the runtime is kept low, and you get creative, you can make it work. I just recently built a 1.54w " pen" . But the problem there wasnt length, it was width and heatsinking.

You would need an extended heatsink to be able to fit a module in there. But yeah it's doable. The trickery part is making everything fit in the short body. The width is good. I have a similar looking host the Cree B68 . It has a 100mw 532 module in it, but it looks like it is a fair bit longer than this one. If the runtime is kept low, and you get creative, you can make it work. I just recently built a 1.54w " pen" . But the problem there wasnt length, it was width and heatsinking.

thank you T any idea of where i could get parts or would i have to make them??

Last edited:

Tmack

You would definitely have to get the host sent to a machinist. Mrcrouse, flaminpyro are always up for custom work. They would machine you an extended heatsink to accept the module. Then all you need to do is buy a diode driver combo from DTR and solder the two leads on the driver to the two leads on the contact board and there you go. That would be the easiest way to get it going. But if its not commonly used there is usually a reason. Size, heatskinking, small battery all pose problems.if you wanted a 445 you would need a boost driver so the driver diode combo ould not be an option. So you would need to just get a module and solder on your own driver in place of a contact board. And then you would be running a substantial amount of power from a very small battery. In this build a 638 nm or a 405 nm would be better because you can get the single battery driver pre wired from dtr. Another thing to remember ( if that wasnt enough) is that if you run into any problems, no one will have first hand experience with the host to help you, so other then asking for help from afar, you will have to essentially " figure it out" lol see where I'm getting with this lol. If your just starting, build something that has been built many times and is tried and true. Something like this may be cool because its unique, but would be better suited for you a little later when your " figure it out" skills, are a little more refined. But if your confident ,,,,,go for it man!! :D

Last edited:
You would definitely have to get the host sent to a machinist. Mrcrouse, flaminpyro are always up for custom work. They would machine you an extended heatsink to accept the module. Then all you need to do is buy a diode driver combo from DTR and solder the two leads on the driver to the two leads on the contact board and there you go. That would be the easiest way to get it going. But if its not commonly used there is usually a reason. Size, heatskinking, small battery all pose problems.if you wanted a 445 you would need a boost driver so the driver diode combo ould not be an option. So you would need to just get a module and solder on your own driver in place of a contact board. And then you would be running a substantial amount of power from a very small battery. In this build a 638 nm or a 405 nm would be better because you can get the single battery driver pre wired from dtr. Another thing to remember ( if that wasnt enough) is that if you run into any problems, no one will have first hand experience with the host to help you, so other then asking for help from afar, you will have to essentially " figure it out" lol see where I'm getting with this lol. If your just starting, build something that has been built many times and is tried and true. Something like this may be cool because its unique, but would be better suited for you a little later when your " figure it out" skills, are a little more refined. But if your confident ,,,,,go for it man!! :D

words of wisdom and since i just picked that flashlight up ill hang onto it fo future use and try with something someone else has already used:thanks::beer:

DJNY

Of course it´s possible.

Members like lazeerer, DTR, rhd.. have built in much smaller hosts.
Jayrob too, he is selling a few of them as a kit.

But usually, the smaller the host, the more complicate it is to work with.

NKO29

For some tiny hosts i have used just a resistor as a driver... However the lower the battery level gets, the less current will be supplied. Another wayy that host could work is if you instead of extending the HS, you could maybe use a round driver... It is hard to tell without seeing the insides of it, but i'd assume it's doable :)

I built a 450mW red into one of those- here is the link to where i bought it from link.

They work real nice with a plug-n-go module from DTR link

Oh yea crazyspaz beat me to it! ^^^

Yes i have made host kits with this host.

Here are some pics you can see this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/s...ecial-custom-al-heatsink-m140-1-5a-86605.html Here i used barrel extensions so i could use 2 batteries but you can keep the original case just fine. You will just need to use a boost driver :D

The pill uses a 10mm driver so no luck there. Its all right if the driver is soldered to the diode. Space is quite a constraint though....

I have one more heatsink for these....

:beer:
-Matt

Last edited:

Tmack

I have the b68 Cree, I just need the heatsink. Right now it has a 100mw 532. I'd like a 405 in it if you could part with the heatsink