Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone tried using a “twist” vape battery?

Cbfull

There are a lot of vape pen batteries that have a voltage adjustment at the bottom. It seems feasible that one could wire this potentiometer to the board and vary the diode current. Anyone ever tried it?

Attachments

• B283AE1A-068A-4EA3-BFB0-05411F6F49F9.jpeg
    B283AE1A-068A-4EA3-BFB0-05411F6F49F9.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 8

Encap

Not applicable for laser diode use -- needless complication. Just buy the correct battery.
Laser drivers provide constant current to the laser diode not voltage.
You adjust the current on the driver .

Last edited:

Cbfull

It’s still a potentiometer, which is what is on the driver board, so it is feasible that this could be done, but it doesn’t seem worth the effort.

I had a very old one of these batteries that I took apart and there were two wires going from the bottom dial and connected to the circuit in the top. It was raggedy and the battery wouldn’t hold a charge so I threw it away.

I was thinking that it might be useful to turn the power down when traveling to avoid any issues with TSA

I was thinking that it might be useful to turn the power down when traveling to avoid any issues with TSA
This would not work out. The „constant current“ driver on the laser is designed to keep the current constant, whatever voltage the battery delivers. If it falls below the threshhold, it simply shuts off. If you have a „boost“ driver, the electronics would try to raise the voltage above what the battery supplies. You would only make life harder for the electronics to do the job it is intended for. You cannot regulate beam intensity with it.

Cbfull

Honestly I don’t really think it’s worth it anyway, but I do like the idea of being able to turn the power on and off with the 5 quick button presses.

Bernard Ulo

Hi there,
I've chosen my new battery after reading enough reviews. I found informative articles on Vapingdaily and stopped my choice on Sony 18650 VTC5. Quite satisfied with it. Maybe someone would recommend something else.