Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone here ever hurt their eyes?

Gappa

I got flashed pretty good with 445 blue and am seeing grey in my right eye. I was wearing glasses but it was still a pretty good reflection.

Benm

What kind of glasses?

If they perform at OD3 or better there should be little concern, even though a direct hit looks darn bright at such power levels.

A bit of color balance failure is to be expected, but that should recover in half an hour or less - if it persists longer than that, you may be in trouble.

Gappa

It was my Arctic and the included glasses that this happened with.

Dont waste time, have an eye doctor take a look at it. No one here can diagnose your problem.

I agree with T_J. See an eye doctor immediately. Those glasses are very poor and are not good enough to protect against 800+mw of 445 light.

Toke

Slightly unrelated, but I got pretty scared a few days ago.
I were checking how my goggles did on 405nm by holding them up and shining a 5mW through them.
Holding them in front of me. :(

The purple flash in my right eye were scary, but had no noticeable effect.

Next time I will hold the goggles at my waist and point the laser while off.

I was playing with my dog about 4 weeks ago using my 405nm and accidently hit something and got the reflection in my eyes, scared the crap out of me. My eyes felt like I had slight flash burn the next morning. They're ok but still had me worried. When I went in to get my new eyeglasses I talked to the doc, he said I should be ok that if there was any damage I would have lost my part of my vision and wouldn't be able to see blue. He also said that if that happens sometimes it takes up to 6 months to get it back, if it's bad you never get it back and there is not a lot that they can do. There is some light thrapy but that's it.

Go See the eye doc, don't wait! And get better glasses!

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Lots of times ..... with grinder dust, chips from a machine, chemicals, cyanoacrylate fumes, and so on ..... but, til now at least, never with a laser ;)

I caught a reflection off a ~20mW 532. I had a spot in my upper right eye for a while, now its a blind spot. If I look indirectly I can catch it sometimes depending on the light. I didnt think it could happen with such a low powered laser, but it did. I now have 3 sets of goggle. :beer:

DJNY

Tell this Wickedlasers (wicked@wickedlasers.com) and write "Hello Steve" into subject line. He won´t care much but he is going to read it and maybe thinks about it for some seconds.

Gappa

It's a little better today it's kinda weird seeing in greytone in that part of my eye. I didn't think there was much that could be done anyway. I have had weldburn before and that felt like sand in my eyes but this is a lot different

LSRFAQ

It's a little better today it's kinda weird seeing in greytone in that part of my eye. I didn't think there was much that could be done anyway. I have had weldburn before and that felt like sand in my eyes but this is a lot different

GO TO THE HOSPITAL. There are things that can be done, steroids, vitamins, others. The sooner the better. Anything that can get the swelling/bleeding down. DO NOT WAIT, ER if you cannot see a DOCTOR RIGHT NOW.

Steve

Last edited:
This really makes me angry!

It's horrible that WL provides such shoddy glasses.

Anyway I know it's all ready been said, but you need immediate medical attention. The sooner you see a doctor the less likely it is that the damage is 100% permanent

wow, hope your eye will be ok. I got my Spartan today, and this just makes me be even more careful than I already am. I've found that the WickedLaser shades work perfect for the brightness of upclose burning, however I wouldn't trust them for an incoming beam. My o-like glasses let basically no light though, so I can't even see my laser. Isn't there an inbetween?

Gappa, the doctors can provide you with meds that can help protect your eyes from further damage and aid in healing if it is at all possible. However, like all injuries, you need to treat it as soon as possible before permanent damage occurs and your body adapts to your new injured condition.

You have two sets of eyes. That's it. No amount of money will replace them. Get them looked at by a doctor no matter the cost.