Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone combined 405 and a red for pink?  

I'm wanting to combine a 5-10mw 635 Aixiz module with a 15ish mw PS3 405 to make a pink laser for my wife.

I realize both beams will need to be separately collimated and then combined with dichros or something. How exactly would I go about doing this? Would it even be possible? Do they make dichros that will work with these two wavelengths? Is there a better option than a dichro? Since Aixiz doesn't need a driver, I would only need one for the PS3 diode right? Would I be able to fix up something to where she could select her colors, ie red or violet or pink (r&v combined)

Sorry for being scatterbrained.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone combined 405 and a red for pink? &n

The PS3 KES-400A (and similar models) had the blue, red, and IR in a single 5-pin diode. (It also had some really weird optics, since those three wavelengths all refract differently, effectively giving them different focal lengths. One of the lenses was mounted on a little gantry, and a tiny motor moved it back and forth depending on which color was being used.) With sufficient heatsinking and low enough wattage, you could turn on the blue and red at the same time, giving a weird pink beam.

Apparently the heatsinking is key... the diode is only meant to have one beam on a a time, so you really need to actively cool it to have them both on.

Foobario said:
The PS3 KES-400A (and similar models) had the blue, red, and IR in a single 5-pin diode. (It also had some really weird optics, since those three wavelengths all refract differently, effectively giving them different focal lengths. One of the lenses was mounted on a little gantry, and a tiny motor moved it back and forth depending on which color was being used.) With sufficient heatsinking and low enough wattage, you could turn on the blue and red at the same time, giving a weird pink beam.

Apparently the heatsinking is key... the diode is only meant to have one beam on a a time, so you really need to actively cool it to have them both on.

I thought about doing this, but with the different focal lengths of the red and violet, I don't think it would be possible to have a well collimated pink beam for her, would it? If it is possible, this would be the logical conclusion.

Switch

Re: Has anyone combined 405 and a red for pink?  

A dichro or a polarized cube sounds better to me. :pI'm just imagining this build would work like rog's yellow pointer.Use copper and super glue and/or epoxy to fit the dichro/cube and then try to adjust it the best you can, then make some sort of case to cover it all. Are you sure it would give the desired pink? :-/

Switch said:
A dichro or a polarized cube sounds better to me. :pI'm just imagining this build would work like rog's yellow pointer.Use copper and super glue and/or epoxy to fit the dichro/cube and then try to adjust it the best you can, then make some sort of case to cover it all. Are you sure it would give the desired pink? :-/

She and I have played around with my 405 and my 635, and if we block about half of my 405's beam, we get a VERY well mixed pink beam. The 405 left whole overpowers my 635 pretty well, the mix appears to be about double the mw of 405 to the mw of 635 to get a good mix.

473 does give a much, much better pink, and it also doesn't have the violet's eye tricking properties, but 473 is prohibitively expensive for me to get another instance of.