Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harvesting the ShowWX? Contains: 635 + 445 (single mode?) + 532 (directly doubled)

That's reasonable. Anyway, making a 3.8mm module should be no harder than any of the other press-fit heatsinks people are making. If anything, Eud can do it, because he can make anything =p

That's reasonable. Anyway, making a 3.8mm module should be no harder than any of the other press-fit heatsinks people are making. If anything, Eud can do it, because he can make anything =p

I was wondering the same thing. Can't you just have someone make a press fit heatsink that holds the smaller diode in the back and then have the standard threaded hole in the front centered over the diode.

rhd

This made my night!

Aparently someone on Yahoo Finance's blog (forum?) stumbled across this thread. Their comments are funny/awesome/flattering. My favourite:
"One of them is going to do a teardown of the projector. Paul A comes to mind, they had better watch out for stripped screws."
If only they knew what we do to BluRay drives to get at those little 405nm gems ;)

They also seem to know something we don't about the cost of that Osram blue diode. My $1500 figure was from some UK reseller I found. It's likely that there are cheaper sources. However, to buy one of those diodes new, $1500 was the cheapest I could find.

Screenshot below. Yahoo Finance thread is here: http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/S...tm&bn=27329&tid=398697&mid=398697&tof=1&frt=2
VkZreY.png

Last edited:
Yup! And woot! I was mentioned as a techno-geek. Then again, I sorta am....

rhd

For the record, I'm pretty sure we all are.

Though the Yahoo Finance guys are geeks too, just in a different way.

A way that makes them money... while our geekiness costs us way way way too much of it :(

Yeah, I suppose we are :p It's just nice to be acknowledged as such, ya know?

And you are so right -.-

$199 is lower than any on feeBay. Somebody on the inside of MicroVison could prolly get as-is returns etc. scratch n dent lol-- cool item to have - runs off everything and never needs focusing. does any other Co. make laser picos? Pawn shop maybe?

LaZeRz

Seems to be interesting :D can't jeff make a 3.8mm module for ya? or anyone else with access to a lathe, anyway I cant wait to see the results on the diodes, there also should be some heatsinking, lenses and stuff like that inside of that projector too

rhd

I believe WannaBurn is able to - and is doing so for someone else already. Not clear on potential ETA there. I found a nice fellow on PL who is able and willing to create a couple for me at a reasonable price. So I think I have the bases covered on the 3.8mm mount front now.

There might not be a whole lot inside these to be honest. They're tiny, and the lasers + circuitry already take up a bunch of space. Plus, in theory, a pure laser projector should have fairly perfect focus at any (reasonable) range without needing adjustment. So I'm actually putting my money on there not being a whole lot inside.

Having said that, and I won't know this until I open it up, but if there's any possibility of saving the "projector" bits such that I could modify it up with a cheaper common 445, 532 DPSS, and LOC LD diode, I'll try to do so as a follow-up thread. Obviously we're talking different LD form factors in all three cases, and this project may require some force (thus destroying the projector parts). But if it's at all possible to create a working projector at the end of this, for the cost of another $50 in less expensive diodes, I've at least got my mind to the idea.

EDIT: In fact, balancing the colour for a pico projector doesn't require consideration of Raleigh scattering, since we're not concerned with the beam. Thus, the 90mW of Red 640 (wavelength range midpoint) is roughly equivalent to 225mW of LOC 658, that's maybe $7. Toss in a 50mW DX 532 module for $16, and a massively under-driven multi-mode 445 for $30, and it really would be about $50 to re-arm this Pico with less exotic, but still similar brightness LDs. Plus, at sub-100mW, the 445nm multi-mode might behave reasonably similar to a single-mode. Could even get ambitious and run the LOC at 300mW, splurge for a 75mW green, and drive the 445 at whatever seemed to balance visually. Anyway though, this is getting way out into hypothetical land until I actually get this thing in my hands and see if there's any possibility that it won't be totally destroyed in the process of harvesting ;)

Last edited:

anselm

Having said that, and I won't know this until I open it up, but if there's any possibility of saving the "projector" bits such that I could modify it up with a cheaper common 445, 532 DPSS, and LOC LD diode, I'll try to do so as a follow-up thread.
Do you seriously expect to fit all those 12mm modules in there?
Or do you think you can somehow build it outside the original case?

Johnyz

Hm, what about modding the insides and inserting the diodes right in place of the older ones? The 532 would be a problem tho. Outside original case or getting a DPSS-in-a-can (I think LASER66 sells some) diode would be the only options.

Helios

I cant wait to see what comes of this. I spend too much on this hobby as is otherwise I would have one coming ASAP.