Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Harvesting a NIR Diode

I am wanting to create my own NIR-burning laser.

I have been trying to figure out where the best place to get my hands on a 808nm rather high output diode, and I am considering buying one of DX's 50mw lasers to tear into and grab the diode, and maybe I could possibly use their optics as well.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2390

What are the specs for a pump diode for a 50mw green? Would this be a good way of getting a diode, or are there better methods?

I don't want to get a good diode then blow it. I just want some cheap diodes to play around with.

lasercricker said:
pump diodes are infrared, not ultraviolet. i think...

Depending on what your pumping, they can be either and more I think.

I never asked for an ultraviolet diode anywhere in my post, I was wondering how many mw I could expect from one of dx's cheap green 50mw greenie laser's pump diodes. (I know it depends on crystal effecincy, knowing dx its not going to have that good of crystals in it...)

I would guess about 200 to 300 mW of 808 nM. I took similar pointer apart, removed the diode and driver, press the diode into an aixiz, replace the driver and with a little fitting, got a NIR pen. I get about 230 mW out of mine.
They don't focus too well over a couple feet.

Mike

Thats pretty much what I wanted to do.

I guess I will have to order a dx 50mw laser then (I think they are like $25.00). Have some fun with taking it apart and stuff. Hopefully the diode will fit into another DX laser module I got.

Should fit -- they're all 5.6 mm cans. Larger lasers may have the TO-5 can which is larger but I haven't seen a <100 mW with the large diode.
Mike

spyrorocks said:
I don't want to get a good diode then blow it. I just want some cheap diodes to play around with.

[quote author=lasercricker link=1199304111/0#1 date=1199305169]pump diodes are infrared, not ultraviolet. i think...

Depending on what your pumping, they can be either and more I think.

I never asked for an ultraviolet diode anywhere in my post, I was wondering how many mw I could expect from one of dx's cheap green 50mw greenie laser's pump diodes. (I know it depends on crystal effecincy, knowing dx its not going to have that good of crystals in it...)
[/quote]
woah, idk where the hell i got ultra violet! tired i guess... maybe i thought 808 was uv? whoa i need to take a nap...ive been up all night trying to make my diy red work, and i did! and its cool!

It wont supply the right amount of power, that driver in their will work for 5mw's only you will need to make your own to driver the one from the laser.

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Ah ok, maybe I will just salvage the driver from the DX laser then (Since its made to power the diode).

Yep that would be a perfect driver, its specifacly meant for that, and im sure it is probably a more complex driver then a lm317 which means it would more than likely make it live a longer life.

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Ah thats great then.

Just gotta get the DX laser open to remove the good stuff out of it... What is the best method of opening DX lasers (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2390)? I have heard that you just put the front cap into a vice grip and slowly twist and pull the back end until it comes off, exposing the innerds.

My method of using wood blocks has been repeated here many times. It works without damage.

Mike

Was it rather easy to separate the diode from the housing, or did you have some trouble?

Most greenies have a threaded ring to hold the diode in place. That's so they can peak the drive to the crystals. After that, you press the diode into the other module.

Mike